Golden promise and vorlauf haze

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Brewddah

Reaction score
Anytime I brew with golden promise, the vorlauf never clears. By that I mean, it's hazy, not that there are little grain bits in it. However, if I brew with any weyermann malts, the runoff is clear immediately. What could be going on here? My mash pH is always 5.2-5.3, not sure if that matters...

Interesting. I brew with it quite a bit and have never noticed much difference. But I batch sparge in a cooler.

If you check for conversion and it is fully converted, then the clarity of the wort could be the crush of your grain.

Do you mill your own grain or get it milled at the LHBS? If it came from the LHBS maybe the milled got changed.

Do you check for completion of conversion? For me the wort clarity normally follows conversion.

Never really paid attention. I vorlauf in a clear pitcher. I continue until I don't see any ripples in the flow or visible chunks. They have always looked hazy, I guess. Never thought it was much of a concern. I batch sparge

It is hard to believe that the barley variety would cause this, but not impossible. I have brewed one batch with Golden Promise and it was somewhat murky, but I think that's more or less what most of my brews have been at that stage. Good vorlauf will prevent any major particles to go through, though. When I boiled with Protafloc and cooled rapidly, it dropped as clear as ever.

I don't mill my own grain, but I've noticed this for a while with golden promise in particular. I don't do an iodine test. I used to, but it seemed to be fully converted after 1 hour of mashing every time, so I quit doing it. I don't think that's it anyway, I got 80% efficiency on this most recent mash.

Also, after boiling, there was good cold break.

I don't mill my own grain, but I've noticed this for a while with golden promise in particular. I don't do an iodine test. I used to, but it seemed to be fully converted after 1 hour of mashing every time, so I quit doing it. I don't think that's it anyway, I got 80% efficiency on this most recent mash.

Also, after boiling, there was good cold break.

Well, if it's converting, it shouldn't be starch haze. The only malt analysis sheet I could find was for Simpsons and it doesn't seem to be high in protein.

Golden Promise is generally low in protein. I would think similar in protein content to most Weyermann base malts. The kernels can however be rather plump, more so than most other grains. Some professional breweries adjust their mill gap wider when milling these English varieties so as not to overshred the husk. Not sure if that’s the cause but that’s all I could think of off the top of my head.

Golden Promise is generally low in protein. I would think similar in protein content to most Weyermann base malts. The kernels can however be rather plump, more so than most other grains. Some professional breweries adjust their mill gap wider when milling these English varieties so as not to overshred the husk. Not sure if that’s the cause but that’s all I could think of off the top of my head.

That's kind of what I'm thinking too. Possibly just too much flour. He could ask that they open up the mill a bit and deal with the possible lower efficiency or maybe just try something as simple as adding a few hand fulls of rice hulls to see if that helps.

That's kind of what I'm thinking too. Possibly just too much flour. He could ask that they open up the mill a bit and deal with the possible lower efficiency or maybe just try something as simple as adding a few hand fulls of rice hulls to see if that helps.

I will ask my LHBS about that next time I buy some. All that said, I'm not sure that the haze has any effect on the quality of the finished beer.

GP has been a go-to pale/ipa/dipa/neipa base malt for me the last couple of years, it's a toned-down MO imo. I run a 3v2p herms with typically 50 minutes of recirculation during the mash plus the mash-out step and haven't noticed a difference in wort clarity vs, say, something basic like Breiss two-row through Weyermann pilsner. But, tbh, I wouldn't have been looking with a truly critical eye. If the wort heading to the bk looks nearly bright like a normal run to me I'm ok with what's happening and wouldn't have taken a note on it.

I'll try to remember this thread next brew with GP...

Cheers!

If you are using the Fawcett malts they are floor malted, that may be contributing. I've never noticed any lingering haze from it myself though.

Back