Golden Promise and Citra?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bfinleyui

Reaction score
So a month or so ago, my LHBS had 10-lb bags of Golden Promise for 10 bucks, so I picked one up. Now, I actually have to figure it out.

I'm aiming for a beer somewhere between Toppling Goliath PseudoSue (All-Citra Pale Ale) and Sosus (All-Mosaic IIPA). Not a pure clean light IPA, pushing more to the Amber, sweeter side (think Bell's Two Hearted).

I read somewhere that sometimes Citra can get out of control, so I threw some cascade in there to break it up, but pondering taking it out and replacing the 1oz cascade additions with a .5 oz citra additions, if I decide to go straight citra.

As far as the malts, I'm pretty lost here. I can't find much on the specific differences with Golden Promise. I've only ever used 2-row as a base malt, so this is a bit of a step out of the comfort zone.

That being said, am I completely off base with anything here? The yeast is just something i have laying around that I haven't used yet, but interested to see how it turns out.

I'm currently away from beersmith, so I don't have exact numbers, but here's the idea from BrewersFriend:

HOME BREW RECIPE:
Title: Golden Citra IPA

Brew Method: All Grain
Style Name: American IPA
Boil Time: 60 min
Batch Size: 5.5 gallons (fermentor volume)
Boil Size: 7.5 gallons
Boil Gravity: 1.055
Efficiency: 75% (brew house)

STATS:
Original Gravity: 1.075
Final Gravity: 1.021
ABV (standard): 7.07%
IBU (tinseth): 80.28
SRM (morey): 12.5

FERMENTABLES:
10 lb - United Kingdom - Golden Promise (66.7%)
3 lb - German - Vienna (20%)
2 lb - American - Caramel / Crystal 40L (13.3%)

HOPS:
1 oz - Citra, Type: Pellet, AA: 11, Use: Boil for 60 min, IBU: 36.37
1 oz - Cascade, Type: Pellet, AA: 7, Use: Boil for 45 min, IBU: 21.25
1 oz - Citra, Type: Pellet, AA: 11, Use: Boil for 15 min, IBU: 18.05
1 oz - Cascade, Type: Pellet, AA: 7, Use: Boil for 5 min, IBU: 4.61

YEAST:
Danstar - American West Coast Yeast BRY-97
Starter: No
Form: Dry
Attenuation (avg): 72%
Flocculation: High
Optimum Temp: 62 - 75 F

As far as golden promise goes, its a great base grain some folks liken it to a "scottish marris otter". I think its not as biscuity as Mariss Otter, its smoother. If you have had a Timothy Taylors Landlord Ale, then you have tasted golden promise. TT only uses GP for base grains, that should say something. Great deal on the grain too, $1 / pound wow!

I haven't had Toppling Goliath PseudoSue but there are a number of good citra bombs on the recipe index to get a feel for hop additions and grains.

I use Golden Promise quite a bit and like it as a base malt, even for APAs and once with a Rye IPA.

That much Citra will not be out of control (especially if you the IPA range and use that much crystal malt). I make an all Citra APA with 3 oz late in the boil and it isn't out of control (at least for last year's crop).

That is a lot of crystal malt for an IPA. Make sure you mash low. I don't typically think of Two Hearted as closer to amber. If you are aiming for something like Two Hearted, I would cut the crystal to a pound at most.

I wouldn't bitter with Citra but to each, his own. I've had great results doing a hop steep with citra. It would complement cascade nicely I think

This sounds like a great brew. I'm with TheHairyHop and I wouldn't use such an expensive flavor & aroma hop as a bittering additon; it's like flushing money, and limited supply Citra, down the drain.

Bitter with the cheap stuff, save the Citra for late additions. -Citra

Adam

I'd cut back on the crystal, golden promise will contribute its own sweetness, maybe just .5#, and even that would be pushing it for my tastes. Up the Vienna malt to make up for it.

In a hoppy beer, I honesty can't tell the difference between 2row and Golden Promise except for the 80% price difference.

Ended up with the following recipe, brewing tomorrow;

10lb golden promise
3lb vienna
1lb 20l
8oz carapils

1.5oz cascade at first wort
1oz centennial at 60 min
1oz citra at 5
1oz citra at flameout

BRY-97

Beersmith has that at 1.070, 68 IBU, 6.9 SRM, and 7.1% ABV.

I think I'm going to call it "Golden C Cup IPA". I'm brewing it in the morning before watching the Gold Cup finals with a buddy. Thanks for the suggestions here, very helpful and great points. I spent some time researching and a lot of places also pointed out that Citra, when used for bittering, can get a bit cat pissy. I'll stick safe with the bittering, then citra at the end for flavor.

Only change I may make taking the 2oz of citra and spreading it at 15, 10, 5, and 0, a half ounce each time, rather than just 5 and 0. I'll be dry hopping with citra, too.

Latest posts

Back