Gold Bond Cork Caps

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Brewhandy

Reaction score
I recently bought a vintage Climax bottle capper on ebay because my Red Barron will not grip certain beer bottles. I had used one and I like the old school, solid metal design of the Climax. The capper came with a box of vintage Gold Bond caps with the cork lining. The printed price on the box of caps is 49 cents. I bottled 3 gallons of a pale ale on Sunday (American pale malt, caramel, and Safale Yeast, but Saaz and Tradition hops. 5.9%. Euro/American Pale Ale? Yes…I digress). Anyway, I used 2 caps with the cork lining just to try them out. I would hate to mess up too much of a batch. I’ll see the results in 12 days. I have other caps, but if these work I might as well use them. Is there a verdict out there on using old cork bottle caps for new beer?

Attachments

• A1F4C2A2-A304-40DF-AA11-8A126315230E.jpeg
    A1F4C2A2-A304-40DF-AA11-8A126315230E.jpeg
    915.5 KB · Views: 21
My concern would be the possibility of getting off flavors or aromas that could possibility be absorbed into the cork material then released into your beer. You are testing them properly IMO by only capping a couple of bottles as a test. I don't think I would use them on anything like a delicate pilsner either way. Should be OK on a bigger beer but I wouldn't age anything with them for an extended period of time.

Caps are cheap. The new caps have a plastic seal that when wetted with beer after capping is supposed to absorb O2 from the headspace.

Whether it works well for that or not I don't have any way to tell. But I sure don't have to worry about any off flavors or aroma's the old cork might impart.

But ultimately it's your choice. And there aren't that many beers to cap with that box so you potentially could use them up before this thread finishes the if's and's and but's.

Latest posts

Back