Going to Philly, Any Suggestions?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

The Dude

Reaction score
I'm going to Philadelphia in a few weeks for Labor Day weekend and have some free time Friday & Monday to explorer. Any suggestions of places to check out? I am planning on stopping in The Foodery and checking out Triumph Brewing Company. Also, want to hit Geno's or Pat's, Liberty Bell, Tomb of Unknown Soldier, US Mint, maybe Market Blooms?

What do you think? Any suggestions?

If you like belgians then you need to go to Monk's cafe. Victory brewing is another really good place but it is about 30 minutes outside of the city. And personally I wouldn't bother with either pat's or geno's. There are so so many better cheese steaks. If you find a tonys lucs that is one of the best.

Check out Nodding Head. They have a nice Berliner Weiss on tap.

And if you like cigars, you've got to check out Holt's... and there's a nice cigar bar upstairs called the Mahogany Room that usually has a decent beer on tap, or at minimum, a decent bottle selection.

Don't forget Independence Hall and the Liberty Bell...;)

I don't know if these places are still open, but check out the Middle East restaurant on 2nd and Chestnut and/or the comedy place above it.

Tony Luc's makes a good cheese steak sandwich..also try Geno's and Pat's.

If you like belgians then you need to go to Monk's cafe. Victory brewing is another really good place but it is about 30 minutes outside of the city. And personally I wouldn't bother with either pat's or geno's. There are so so many better cheese steaks. If you find a tonys lucs that is one of the best.

I agree as do most of my friends that grew up or live in Philly. Recently tried a place called Wit or Without and the sandwich was really good and cheap. For $7 I got the sandwich (nice size), fries and a drink. Thing is though all they sell is steak sandwiches and fries.

I agree as do most of my friends that grew up or live in Philly. Recently tried a place called Wit or Without and the sandwich was really good and cheap. For $7 I got the sandwich (nice size), fries and a drink. Thing is though all they sell is steak sandwiches and fries.

Where is it? And i want a place that sells nothing else! :D

Where is it? And i want a place that sells nothing else! :D

Well, I did not go and pick up so I was not there but the menu they emailed us says:

7352 Frankford Ave. (across from the Mayfair Diner)
267-343-7667
witorwithout.com

They don't appear to have an online menu though and the .com above did not work for me. We called and the woman emailed us a PDF menu. Looks like they are part of the Phillysoftpretzelfactory.com as that was her email address.

Tony Luc's has a great roast pork sandwich. For cheese steak, skits pat's and geno's. go to Jim's on South Street. And if it's still open, Warm Daddy's. Last time I was there they had decent beer, and great live blues.

If you are going to be in NE Philly skip wit or without and go to Steve's Prince of Steaks ... I prefer the 7200 Bustleton Ave. location.

Monk's is a must. It's Belgian heaven and eclectic as all hell. Awesome place.
Also try the South Philly Tap Room on Mifflin. Little hole in the wall place but good food and good beer on tap. It's where I had my first taste of Pliny the Younger on tap.

Just got back from Philly, went to both Monk's and it's sister Belgian Cafe. I really enjoyed Belgian Cafe much more - Monks was hot, noisy to the point of not being able to talk to the person next to you and some pretty bad service. The beer selection at Belgian Cafe is not as good as Monks, but still damn good. And the mussels and frites are wonderful!

Also, went on a tour of the Philadelphia Brewing Company that was great fun, know it's only scheduled occassionally, but you could call and find out.

Have fun!

For cheesesteaks I prefer Jim's or Tony Luke's to Pat's/Geno's. This witorwithout place is getting a lot of attention too, it's new but supposed to be very good if you're in that area. Jim's is on south street with a good number of bars around and kind of a haight/ashbury vibe if that's your thing.

Near the belgian cafe there's also a belgian tasting room - it has all sorts of different (i.e. not just belgian) beer, cheese and chocolate. interesting idea and a good way to spend a large amount of money in a short time.

For pubs, I love the dive bars, like McGlinchy's on 15th st (near Monks) more than the smart places. McGillen's (oldest pub in Philly) is neat too. Triumph has very good beer and also some good food last time I was there.

The place I want to go is the old grey lodge up in north philly, it's a long cab ride from the city but is supposed to have great beer selection.

Ya, Jims is good stuff too....especially @ 2:30am when those steak sandwiches really hit the spot ;) If you're in that area, O'Neals on 3rd is a great place to stop and have a beer at the bar and a bite.

Vetri, Sansom Street Oyster House, Little Fish, Osteria, Fountain, Dim sum at Joy Tsin Lau, forget the naysayers, there's more to cheesesteaks than cheese and steak, going to Pat's and/or Geno's is as much for the experience as the steak, Monk's, Belgian Cafe, Slainte, Amada, Le Bar Lyonnais, Le Bec fin, La Croix, Buddakan, Morimoto, Gilmore's, (and my neighborhood options: Sycamore, Bona Cucina, Marigold, White Dog)

These are my absolute top picks. the fabled list of the top restaurants that I would be happy with for the rest of my life if forced to choose.

Of this list, if you can at all swing it Vetri and Little Fish are simply awesome experiences. Only problem is that it takes months to get in either. I have a monthly reservation at both but neither one is until late in September.

For hanging out and not necessarily eating: If you are young and out and about at night: South street. More sedate: Old City. Art museum area is a must on a nice afternoon. Chinatown is great for weekend brunch - Joy Tsin Lau. Riverside is great during Philly Beer Week. Actually the whole city is great during Philly Beer Week.

Best Beer in town: my house of course ;)

Just came in to Lancaster. I'm glad I found this thread. I'm going to have to make my way to Monks and Johns Roast pork. The two things in life that make it worth living, good beer and pork fat. :) I'm also up to meet any home brewers I can. PM me

Hijack complete.

Back