going back to extract...

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Craigweiser

Reaction score
Yes, sad but true. For the Wisconsin winter, it's more practical to do extract. Does anyone know of a resource that discusses how best to formulate a good extract recipe utilizing specialty grains for steeping? Is it typical to utilize the same type/amount of specialty grains in extract recipes as used for AG? Thanks for those with answers!

Why not do a partial mash with a 2 gallon cooler as described by BYO? It will allow you some of the flexibility of all grain with the practicality of extract.

Brew Your Own: The How-To Homebrew Beer Magazine - Countertop Partial Mashing - Issues

Check out "Brewing Classic Styles" by Jamil Zainasheff and John Palmer. Very good recipes, all of them for extract (and AG).

Go partial mash, even just BIAB on the stove. Even with steeping malts (Crystal, Black, Choc), you get a lot more out of them with mashing than with just steeping. Yes... even crystal.

calder said:
go partial mash, even just biab on the stove. Even with steeping malts (crystal, black, choc), you get a lot more out of them with mashing than with just steeping. Yes... Even crystal.

biab?

Brew in a bag. It's basically a cheap way to do all grain. Considering a 2 gallon cooler is like 8 dollars, I prefer a 'traditional' partial mash with an MLT.

IffyG said:
Brew in a bag. It's basically a cheap way to do all grain. Considering a 2 gallon cooler is like 8 dollars, I prefer a 'traditional' partial mash with an MLT.

Yea! Get yourself a paint straining bag at home depot, they are like 3 dollars for 2. I have reused mine about 10 times its still holding up. I found a turkey fryer pot that was on sale online (bayou classic) I think for 25 or 30 dollars. Its pefect for mr beer sized batches (2.2 gal) but I can also do 5 gallon on my electric stove if I only mash in 4.5 gallons and I do a smaller seperate boil with the 170 degree water I rinse the bag with after I pull it from mashout. I put the hops in the large bayou boil.

I'm in Wisconsin and am actually Going to attempt my first biab this week. I've only don't extract so far..
Cold weather shouldn't stop you. It was warm today!

Let me be more specific. I have to brew at my parents house because I live in a condo without viable private space to brew beer outside. It was a pain in the ass option all along but now that I can't do much of my cleaning outside, I see this as a challenge to brew good beer in some other way until it becomes warm again. Keep in mind that the size of my kitchen is about the size of a prison cell...feels like one too, not that I know from experience.

Yea! Get yourself a paint straining bag at home depot, they are like 3 dollars for 2. I have reused mine about 10 times its still holding up. I found a turkey fryer pot that was on sale online (bayou classic) I think for 25 or 30 dollars. Its pefect for mr beer sized batches (2.2 gal) but I can also do 5 gallon on my electric stove if I only mash in 4.5 gallons and I do a smaller seperate boil with the 170 degree water I rinse the bag with after I pull it from mashout. I put the hops in the large bayou boil.

Try my ghetto foil insulation method, you might be able to do a full boil.

dscn1951c.jpg

Put foil under heating elements and punch elements through and insert them into the stove as shown above. Fold foil up around the sides of the pot, wrap additional foil strips all the way around the pot, try to seal it against the top of the pot and the actual stovetop to trap as much heat as possible. Boil much more efficiently.

The pot covers the whole front burner and about half the back burner. Works great for 8gal boils. Without the foil I can't boil nearly that much or heat nearly as fast.

I manage to get a decent boil on my electric stove. I just put the pot over 2 burners. My kettle is thin aluminum. It's not problem. I don't want to brew in the cold either. Screw that. I also do all grain. I stick my cooler on a chair by the stove. My wife hates it but screw her anyway.

Try my ghetto foil insulation method, you might be able to do a full boil.

dscn1951c.jpg

Put foil under heating elements and punch elements through and insert them into the stove as shown above. Fold foil up around the sides of the pot, wrap additional foil strips all the way around the pot, try to seal it against the top of the pot and the actual stovetop to trap as much heat as possible. Boil much more efficiently.

The pot covers the whole front burner and about half the back burner. Works great for 8gal boils. Without the foil I can't boil nearly that much or heat nearly as fast.

I'm speechless. It looks like something I should genuflect in front of (raised catholic... there are signs everywhere!)

This winter I have decided to revert back to extract batches. I'm going to do SMaSH batches essentially. except instead of one malt I'm going to be doing one malt extract and one hop. It wouldn't be too much of a pain to brew outside if I didn't have to use so much water to clean up. Here in northern mn its dangerous to expose skin let alone getting wet outside.

Why not do a partial mash with a 2 gallon cooler as described by BYO? It will allow you some of the flexibility of all grain with the practicality of extract.

Brew Your Own: The How-To Homebrew Beer Magazine - Countertop Partial Mashing - Issues

What would produce better tasting beer? This method, or a full 5 gallon extract boil? Anybody have experience with both?

Yes, sad but true. For the Wisconsin winter, it's more practical to do extract. Does anyone know of a resource that discusses how best to formulate a good extract recipe utilizing specialty grains for steeping? Is it typical to utilize the same type/amount of specialty grains in extract recipes as used for AG? Thanks for those with answers!

HD has 2 gallon paint buckets, perfect for a 1.75 gallon BIAB. I do it all the time get about 17 bottles.

Back