Goat's milk lactose?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

underworld

Reaction score
Anyone know where I can find lactose made from goat milk rather than cow milk?Otherwise my wittily named Goatmeal Stout will die of ridicule and shame.

Yes - in the US. I haven't been able to locate it online yet - but Google searches are hard to construct when everything about goat's milk and lactose is about lactose intolerance, and powdered goat's milk. Maybe I'm just not using the right terms...

You might have to use plain old lactose and a milliliter of goat's milk to make it authentic.

We have a small farm with dairy goats and drink the milk of course. I wonder how you'd make lactose from the goat milk?

What makes goat milk OK for most 'lactose' intolerant people is the level of lactose. The reason why goat milk works for lots of 'lactose' intolerant people is usually because it is not the lactose that they have a problem digesting, but the milk fats. The milk fats in goat milk are much smaller and more easily digested by the human body.

Once you bring either milk down to lactose powder, they are the same. Lactose in either sugar is a disaccharide sugar made from a glucose ring and a galactose ring joined in an ether linkage.

Note: Been raising dairy goats for almost 18 years now.

Just tell people it is goat lactose and you had to scour the world to find it. Nobody will ever know... :pipe:

Yeah - this is what I was kinda thinking. Just thought it would be cooler if I could find real goat's milk lactose. I'm actually surprised there's not anything already out there... I thought it would be easy to find. But, apparently, it doesn't exist anywhere as far as I can see...

Find a product called Cajeta at your local Latin/World foods market. It is a caramel sauce, mostly consisting of fermentable sugars and Maillard products, with a milk base. The authentico version will be made with goat's milk.

Add some of that and Roberto's your uncle, you've got goat.

It will have some fat, so use sparingly. And for God's sake don't get a reduced (fat, sugar, etc.) one, it will be loaded with stuff you don't want in your beer.

Authentic Cajeta is indeed made with goat milk. In purest form, it is goat milk and sugar slowly condensed and then carmelized. A little bit of baking soda is usually added to prevent clumping of the proteins as it is heated. Some people also add vanilla, cinnamon, or other spices for additional flavoring.

It does contain the milk fats, which depending upon the breed of goat can be substantial.

Back