Gnats in my Beer!!!!?!?!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jlinz

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Well, everything was going great. Tasted my Belgian pale ale FG sample and it was quite nice. Racked to the keg, smelled good, everything going great. Start cleaning my Better Bottle, and WTH???? Gnats were inside my fermenter, maybe 3 or 4 of them! Beer is kegged, sample tasted good, but should this be a dumper? Anyone ever have this happen and just drink the beer anyway? I'm tempted to.

Sorry to say that most likely they were fruit flies, also known as 'vinegar flies'. Very common in the Summer/Fall. They carry acetobacter which turns alcohol to acetic acid -vinegar. Especially happens in presence of oxygen. Drink it up fast before it turns on you.

Sorry to say that most likely they were fruit flies, also known as 'vinegar flies'. Very common in the Summer/Fall. They carry acetobacter which turns alcohol to acetic acid -vinegar. Especially happens in presence of oxygen. Drink it up fast before it turns on you.

+1 for this. If you find this becomes an issue you can do an old bartender trick and leave out a snifter of brandy or some sweet liquor with a coffee filter cut sort of in a funnel-shape so the flies go in and have a hard time getting back out, usually they will flock to this and drop into the liquor. Certainly not infallible but may help.

Yes, probably fruit flies. So, is this a 100% chance of infection or could the alcohol/yeast have somehow warded it off? As of now, (3 weeks in the fermenter), it tastes fine.

If you find this becomes an issue you can do an old bartender trick and leave out a snifter of brandy or some sweet liquor with a coffee filter cut sort of in a funnel-shape so the flies go in and have a hard time getting back out, usually they will flock to this and drop into the liquor. Certainly not infallible but may help.
They like tequila too. And red wine. I fill a shot glass and put some saran wrap on top with holes poked through.

So, is this a 100% chance of infection or could the alcohol/yeast have somehow warded it off? As of now, (3 weeks in the fermenter), it tastes fine.
Well nothing is 100% fortunately, but acetobacter changes alcohol to vinegar, so the alcohol, hops and yeast won't help. But, if you have been careful about avoiding O2, that will help. Also, keeping it cold will help. I don't know what time frame we're talking about, but if you're interested I think there's a section of the forum where they talk about making vinegar. I'd keg it, carbonate it and keep it cold. Have a party. If it starts tasting off, then dump it, but otherwise, drink her up.

Thanks for the responses! Also, if acetobacter does show up, do I need to do anything special cleaning-wise before the next batch besides a good cleaning of everything and starsan?

Gnatty Light...?

uh boo.

giphy.gif

Thanks for the responses! Also, if acetobacter does show up, do I need to do anything special cleaning-wise before the next batch besides a good cleaning of everything and starsan?

Probably won't be an issue for you in a cold keg. Cleaning, a starsan wash is exactly what you need.

I will admit to the nuclear option after bad infections and normally soured beers. That includes strong bleach solution. BTW, never leave bleach in a keg for more than an hour or two. It will eat through SS. Yes, I have proof :)

Probably won't be an issue for you in a cold keg. Cleaning, a starsan wash is exactly what you need.

I will admit to the nuclear option after bad infections and normally soured beers. That includes strong bleach solution. BTW, never leave bleach in a keg for more than an hour or two. It will eat through SS. Yes, I have proof :)

Right. I’m just thinking what to do about my fermenters and plastics I used if I do end up with a batch o vinegar. I suppose I will do what I normally do with a bit more attention to things.

Week 2 and still no vinegar flavor. Perhaps one can have fruit flies get into the fermenter and still dodge an acetobacter bullet.
Acetobacter need oxygen to do the work of converting ethanol to acetic acid, and they work quite slowly, especially at keezer temps. Fruit flies did get in and their gut contents would absolutely contain enough acetobacter to infect, IMHO it's not a question of 'if' but 'when' you will start to notice an off flavor. But hey, by then you will certainly have kicked the keg, so what does it matter?

So far I’m winning.
Indeed. I'd happily share a glass with you. Dumping beer is a sin, any sort of unwanted guests or infection ought to be viewed pragmatically as an opportunity to adventure, a learning experience, and as a connection to the thousands of years of brewing history that preceded modern knowledge of sanitation, microorganisms, etc. Beer truly saved the world and trust in it is paramount to survival of the human species. This philosophy pretty much fuels my distaste for the whole LODO fad.

Indeed. I'd happily share a glass with you. Dumping beer is a sin, any sort of unwanted guests or infection ought to be viewed pragmatically as an opportunity to adventure, a learning experience, and as a connection to the thousands of years of brewing history that preceded modern knowledge of sanitation, microorganisms, etc. Beer truly saved the world and trust in it is paramount to survival of the human species. This philosophy pretty much fuels my distaste for the whole LODO fad.

Agreed! This is the kind of philosophy I like. You’re welcome to share a glass of whatever is on tap if you ever find yourself in the Southern Illinois region!

3 weeks in the keg and tastes great. So, in conclusion, for all ye who may venture here with the same concern, a few fruit flies in your fementer may not be the end of the world...

Last edited:
I would still drink up sooner rather than later. I've had several aceto infections over the years. They have typically taken 2 - 4 months to develop once in the bottle. The first sign is a "spritzy" feel to the carbonation. They will also start to get very foamy and eventually turn into gushers and taste like vinegar.

I would still drink up sooner rather than later. I've had several aceto infections over the years. They have typically taken 2 - 4 months to develop once in the bottle. The first sign is a "spritzy" feel to the carbonation. They will also start to get very foamy and eventually turn into gushers and taste like vinegar.

Haha, funny you say this. As soon as I was confident I was out of the woods, it seems to be turning a bit. By the way, did you just clean as usual afterwards without any problems?

Once the bottles started to turn I dumped them all, rinsed out thoroughly and then soaked in hot water with Oxyclean for an hour or two. Thorough rinsing to remove residue. Once dried, I covered the tops with foil and put them in the oven. Baked them at 350 for an hour and let them cool off overnight. I kept the foil on them until I bottled my next brew and had no issues. I did manage to enjoy the first dozen or so before they started to turn. Good luck.

Latest posts

Back