Glycol Chilled Kegerator

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Caddoaggie

Reaction score
I have a large nitrogen tank that I'm trying to turn into a kegerator. The internal diameter is about two feet, large enough for two or three korny kegs and a CO2 bottle.

I've looked at several different alternatives, dry ice (too cold) and to fill up with ice (impractical). So now I'm trying to decide if I could run copper tubing around the inside of it and pump glycol through it, to chill the inside. I can't drill through the tank because it would mess up the double insulation (according to the manufacturer). So, I would have to run pipes around the inside and then up and over the lip of the tank, through the lid to the glycol chiller. And the tower would be mounted on the top of the lid.

And yes, I could just go buy a freezer or old fridge and make it easier, but I'm not. This tank has wheels and was a birthday present that was bought for the purpose of making it a kegerator. Any ideas would be appreciated.

Did you mention to the manufacturer that you're not trying to use it as a liquid nitrogen storage container anymore? So what if you screw up the insulation where you drill? Unless it's some type of ceramic or liquid insulation where drilling a hole in it would screw up the insulation everywhere else... wouldn't the damages be localized to right where you drill?

You're right about the insulation, one layer is gas (probably gone by now, according to the manufacturer), and then fiberglass for the other layer. The problem is my fiancee, who bought the tank for me, said I can't drill through it... Still trying to convince it's the only way, but in the mean time, I'm hoping I can find another way.

A copper coil glycol loop around the inside should work. Hide the pipes through the lid behind the tower.

You may get better heat transfer and more even temps with an always on fan across a finned heat exchanger for the glycol - provided there is room for one.

Maybe look into a Peltier/thermoelectric cooler. A glycol pump is going to cost a pretty penny. You could cool the inside of this thing with a Peltier unit and some improvised engineering for somewhere around $30-40 if it's already well insulated.

Here are some pics of the tank. From the bottom of the inside to the top of the lid, it's 29 inches high.

The internal diameter is about 28 in wide. Me and my engineer buddy are currently looking at placing some peltier's on top of a heat sink in the bottom (within a box), and then having a fan blow over them and push the hot air up a pipe that will run up and out of the tank. Those dividers in the bottom come out also.

photo 1.JPG

photo 2.JPG

photo 3.JPG

photo 4.JPG

photo 5.JPG

Make sure you use a pipe to supply external air to the hot side of the peltier in addition to the piped hot air exhaust. You don't want room temperature air being pulled in to replace the exhaust air. And insulate the pipes.

Forget a chiller - if the tank is jacketed, figure out a way to pump steam through it and make a bad ass boil kettle!

Back