Glycerin and yeast freezing

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tiredofbuyingbeer

Reaction score
I bought some glycerin at the drug store today to freeze some yeast. But I could only find it in the skin care aisle. The brand is beauty 360, it claims to be "pure glycerin," and on the back it carries this message: "Caution: For external use only. In case of accidental ingestion..." followed by the normal poison control info. Is it safe to use this stuff to freeze my yeast?

Also, question for clarification on the yeast storage sticky at the top of this subforum: If I'm freezing yeast, is the right procedure to put it in the fridge first to let it settle, then add glycerin, then put it in the freezer? Or should I add glycerin to the unsettled slurry and then stick it in the freezer straightaway?

It needs to sit in the fridge for a little while for the cells to take in the glycerin. Hopefully you got the correct stuff, it is a common beauty item for some reason.

Back