gluten free yeast and fermenation temperature

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

AABassMaster

Reaction score
My gluten free beer is fermenting very slowly. I have it in a room that is about 60 degrees Fahrenheit. Is that too cold? I also used Windsor Ale yeast. Does that yeast need a warmer temperature? Thanks.

Here's the info sheet for Windsor:

Windsor Ale Yeast | Danstar Premium Beer Yeasts - The Dry Yeast Advantage

It says it's optimal between 64-70F. But ambient temperature is not wort temperature--your beer is probably at least 5 degrees higher than the room. I recommend slapping a thermometer (one of those sticky aquarium type deals, your FLHS should sell them) on the fermenter itself, which will give you more accurate temp readings.

What's the main malt you're using? I have a sorghum ale winding down right now, and it took 5 days to stop bubbling. Going to check the gravity tonight. Apparently sorghum is quite slow to ferment, and does not have a high krausen.

Short answer, RDWHAHB. Take a gravity sample in a week. But definitely get a thermometer on that fermenter!

And did you use yeast nutrient?

I recommend 1 teaspoon in every batch. I've always used it and never had a problem with fermentation.

Back