Gluten Free New England IPA

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

delcosansgluten

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Hi All,

I just finished ordering supplies for my first batch of GF beer. I am going with this recipe.

https://www.glutenfreehomebrewing.com/recipes/showrecipe.php?recipeid=173

Three questions:

1. For the Termamyl and SEBAmyl additions, how much do I add for a 3 gallon kettle?
2. When it comes to drop hop additions, what does 7 days and 3 days mean? Does it mean I add first round when there is 7 days left of fermentation? The second round with 3 days left?
3. How big of a deal is primary vs secondary fermentation? Id like to leave everything in one vessel for ferm.

Thanks,

Mike

They're telling you how many days to let each dry hop charge soak. There's 2 separate dry hop charges. Definitely skip the secondary, it's not necessary. When I do a double dry hop beer I like to put one charge in at the very end of fermentation and the other one after ferm is done and the yeast is cold crashed out. Usually I just do one dry hop after fermentation.

+1 to all of that ^^^

Do you mean 3 gallon batch? If so, a tbs of Termamyl and .5 tsp of SEBAmyl L will work. I would guess that your beer will probably under-attenuate because SEBA seems to struggle converting rice.

Are you using s-04 or M36? IME, S-04 will finish lower.

They're telling you how many days to let each dry hop charge soak. There's 2 separate dry hop charges. Definitely skip the secondary, it's not necessary. When I do a double dry hop beer I like to put one charge in at the very end of fermentation and the other one after ferm is done and the yeast is cold crashed out. Usually I just do one dry hop after fermentation.
thank you!

+1 to all of that ^^^

Do you mean 3 gallon batch? If so, a tbs of Termamyl and .5 tsp of SEBAmyl L will work. I would guess that your beer will probably under-attenuate because SEBA seems to struggle converting rice.

Are you using s-04 or M36? IME, S-04 will finish lower.
I am going with the S-04 because M36 was sold out. Should I bump up the SEBA? and to confirm tbs = tablespoon?

Yes, tablespoon.

S-04 will be fine. Just try to keep it in the lower 60's if you can, otherwise it gets very tart

Yes, tablespoon.

S-04 will be fine. Just try to keep it in the lower 60's if you can, otherwise it gets very tart

Thanks for the advice! I planned on letting my 1 gallon carboy's sit in the basement which can get in the low 70's. Any advice on how to maintain temps without refrigeration?

Also - the recipe doesn't include how long to boil the wort. I assume 60 mins? Also, what do the "mins" indicate? Does it mean add the ingredient after 15 mins or add with 15 mins left in the boil?

60 minute boil
15 minutes left in the boil

As for fermentation temp, Google 'Swamp Cooler'. S-04 at 70° is pretty harsh and tart. Try to get down to 64°ish.

60 minute boil
15 minutes left in the boil

As for fermentation temp, Google 'Swamp Cooler'. S-04 at 70° is pretty harsh and tart. Try to get down to 64°ish.

Thanks again - really appreciate this. I will follow up with pics once i crack a bottle. I posted a question about water profiles here - https://www.homebrewtalk.com/forum/threads/how-to-adjust-my-water-profile-for-neipa-brew.666191

Any thoughts? Also, what volume of priming sugar do you think I would need for a two gallon batch?

How'd this turn out? I'm considering making this one for the wife.
Hey! Thanks for asking. So I made a fatal error when adjusting the grain bill for a 3 gallon batch. End result was the amount of grain measured was too large for my 3 gallon kettle. I should have measured the grain bill for a 2 gallon fermentation volume. Lesson learned.

Go ahead and try this, for the 15 minutes or so where the crushed grains were in the kettle, it smelled and looked like a NEIPA.

Hi All,

I just finished ordering supplies for my first batch of GF beer. I am going with this recipe.

https://www.glutenfreehomebrewing.com/recipes/showrecipe.php?recipeid=173

Three questions:

1. For the Termamyl and SEBAmyl additions, how much do I add for a 3 gallon kettle?
2. When it comes to drop hop additions, what does 7 days and 3 days mean? Does it mean I add first round when there is 7 days left of fermentation? The second round with 3 days left?
3. How big of a deal is primary vs secondary fermentation? Id like to leave everything in one vessel for ferm.

Thanks,

Mike
good luck finding the Galaxy hops.

I just brewed a Single hop pale with this batch of galaxy and it’s a good lot, hydro sample from this morning is showing flawless galaxy expression. Can’t wair to dryhop

Thought this might be a good thread to keep going for NEIPA, make our own gluten free version of the epic 'Northeast style' IPA thread. Brewing the following this morning, based off the same recipe crypto posted but my wife is still a little wary of oats, even GF, so I omitted those. Also I ordered caramillet & biscuit rice backwards so it's-

10lb Pale Millet
1.5lb Caramillet
1lb Biscuit Rice
---------
2lb Rice Hulls

Single infusion mash @1.25qt/lb water, mash temp ended up being 162 degf, added 25mL sebamyl L & termamyl.

FWH(60min)- 0.25oz magnum
5min - 1oz Idaho 7
Flameout - 1oz Idaho 7
WP @ 180degF - 2oz Idaho 7, 2oz Citra
Ferm DH - 1oz Citra, 1oz Mosaic
Post Ferm DH - 1oz Citra, 1oz Mosaic

Pitch 2 packs s04 at 65degF.

I've done the Idaho 7 hot side only with Citra in the WP & DH and loved it so trying adding in Mosaic as well. I'm thinking I maybe should be adding in some maltodextrin for NEIPA body/head retention but too late for this one. This is my first go at all grain gluten free so we'll see how it turns out. The mash seemed superrrr thick but I'm thinking that's okay, especially with the enzymes.

Thought this might be a good thread to keep going for NEIPA, make our own gluten free version of the epic 'Northeast style' IPA thread. Brewing the following this morning, based off the same recipe crypto posted but my wife is still a little wary of oats, even GF, so I omitted those. Also I ordered caramillet & biscuit rice backwards so it's-

10lb Pale Millet
1.5lb Caramillet
1lb Biscuit Rice
---------
2lb Rice Hulls

Single infusion mash @1.25qt/lb water, mash temp ended up being 162 degf, added 25mL sebamyl L & termamyl.

5min - 1oz Idaho 7
Flameout - 1oz Idaho 7

I've done the Idaho 7 hot side only with Citra in the WP & DH and loved it so trying adding in Mosaic as well. I'm thinking I maybe should be adding in some maltodextrin for NEIPA body/head retention but too late for this one. This is my first go at all grain gluten free so we'll see how it turns out. The mash seemed superrrr thick but I'm thinking that's okay, especially with the enzymes.

Let us know how it turns out! Adding 10-15% buckwheat will add some body (though it's not drastic). Also, you can easily add maltodextrin at packaging just as you would priming sugar. I sometimes do this when the yeast over attenuates. The guys at Sapwood Cellars do this as well. Cheers

Let us know how it turns out! Adding 10-15% buckwheat will add some body (though it's not drastic). Also, you can easily add maltodextrin at packaging just as you would priming sugar. I sometimes do this when the yeast over attenuates. The guys at Sapwood Cellars do this as well. Cheers

Ah that's a great thought on adding the maltodextrin at packaging. I'll look into buckwheat as well.

I would not add maltodextrin to an AG batch until you confirm that your preferred recipe is a little too thin. I used maltodextrin religiously on sorghum base batches. When I moved to AG, I assumed I would still need the maltodextrin, but the one AG batch that i used it on came out with a too thick and heavy mouth feel. I don't find that maltodextrin is needed on any of my AG batches even when the OG is down in the high 1.040's.

I use buckwheat on every batch for head retention, but as Skleice states, the effect is subtle and sometimes I question if it is needed. On few batches I omitted buckwheat because I ran out and still wanted to brew. I did not notice a huge difference.

10lb Pale Millet
1.5lb Caramillet
1lb Biscuit Rice
---------
2lb Rice Hulls

5min - 1oz Idaho 7
Flameout - 1oz Idaho 7

This turned out quite well, certainly a little thin and not much head so I think I'll test out buckwheat and/or maltodextrin over next couple batches based on Chris' thoughts - but color was spot on and hops came through well. Besides the body I'd put this right up against neipas I've made with barley. I've also been sorting out what I think is an acetaldehyde issue with s04 from taking the beer off it too quickly so that flavor is present too. Next batch - add in some buckwheat, try all NZ hops, and maybe try the Lallemand dry Conan
PFoJSIi

PFoJSIi

Attachments

• IMG_20190828_170806667_HDR.jpg
    IMG_20190828_170806667_HDR.jpg
    2 MB · Views: 83
Looks very good! How long did that head stick around?

I've gotta get some Idaho 7. I keep hearing great things about that hop.

Looks very good! How long did that head stick around?

I've gotta get some Idaho 7. I keep hearing great things about that hop.

It was pretty short, few seconds, I may try to get into natural carbing these in the keg with the last few gravity points, that has helped foam for me before

I saw Scott Janish recommend Idaho7 all hot side once and I've since done it a few times in boil/WP then Citra in WP/DH and always turns out excellent

It was pretty short, few seconds, I may try to get into natural carbing these in the keg with the last few gravity points, that has helped foam for me before

I saw Scott Janish recommend Idaho7 all hot side once and I've since done it a few times in boil/WP then Citra in WP/DH and always turns out excellent

I just made a NEIPA with 20% buckwheat and 5% oats. That combo contributes more protein and beta glucan. It has a head that won't die and lacing for days. My best work for sure. I'm really hoping I can replicate those results.

I'll stock up on the Idaho7 when the new crop hits YMH.

This turned out quite well, certainly a little thin and not much head so I think I'll test out buckwheat and/or maltodextrin over next couple batches based on Chris' thoughts - but color was spot on and hops came through well. Besides the body I'd put this right up against neipas I've made with barley. I've also been sorting out what I think is an acetaldehyde issue with s04 from taking the beer off it too quickly so that flavor is present too. Next batch - add in some buckwheat, try all NZ hops, and maybe try the Lallemand dry Conan
PFoJSIi

PFoJSIi
Great job!

What was your OG for this batch?

Did you carbonate in the bottle or force carbonate? I find with GF, 14 psi is a good regulator setting for forced carbonation.

OG was 1.056 - force carbonated, I'll try bumping up to 14 psi next time, I usually have it a little bit lower so that might help me out a bit. Thinking about adding buckwheat & flaked quinoa as well for body & head retention.

OG was 1.056 - force carbonated, I'll try bumping up to 14 psi next time, I usually have it a little bit lower so that might help me out a bit. Thinking about adding buckwheat & flaked quinoa as well for body & head retention.

What was your FG? I've been dialing back my enzymes each batch to finish ~1.020.

What was your FG? I've been dialing back my enzymes each batch to finish ~1.020.

FG was 1.014, how much of each enzyme have you been using? So far I've just mashed at 163degF with 25mL each of termamyl and sebamyl L, thinking about getting into changing that up for a little more control over things.

Next batch I'm going to try-
5lb pale millet
5lb pale rice
2lb malted buckwheat
1lb flaked oats
1lb goldfinch millet

Lallemand NEIPA yeast, CTZ FWH, 50/50 Strata/Citra in WP & DH

Shooting for skleice's reported head and lacing for days. I know that oats tend to add body from high protein content while hurting head retention because of lipid content. Do flaked quinoa and buckwheat both tend to have similar tendencies to boost both body and head retention from the proteins? Trying to work out practical differences between using flaked quinoa or buckwheat.

Next batch I'm going to try-
5lb pale millet
5lb pale rice
2lb malted buckwheat
1lb flaked oats
1lb goldfinch millet

Lallemand NEIPA yeast, CTZ FWH, 50/50 Strata/Citra in WP & DH

Shooting for skleice's reported head and lacing for days. I know that oats tend to add body from high protein content while hurting head retention because of lipid content. Do flaked quinoa and buckwheat both tend to have similar tendencies to boost both body and head retention from the proteins? Trying to work out practical differences between using flaked quinoa or buckwheat.

Using that much rice kind of negates your efforts on boosting body. You may wanna drop the rice to ~10% and sub with millet.

Sadly, the long lasting head and lacing only lasted a week in the keg. I'm guessing all of the good stuff settled out in the keg.

On Friday, I'm trying again with a recipe using 20% buckwheat and 10% Quinoa. We'll see what that does....

Using that much rice kind of negates your efforts on boosting body. You may wanna drop the rice to ~10% and sub with millet.

Sadly, the long lasting head and lacing only lasted a week in the keg. I'm guessing all of the good stuff settled out in the keg.

On Friday, I'm trying again with a recipe using 20% buckwheat and 10% Quinoa. We'll see what that does....

Good thought on the rice, not used to brewing with that yet, I'll switch to mostly millet - going to bump up the buckwheat and oats a bit too. Interested to hear how that buckwheat/quinoa combo goes

Has anyone brewed with the Lallemand NEIPA 11g packets or any of the GFHB new liquid yeasts? Seeing mixed reviews on the Lallemand packs so a little wary of using here, might try on a cheaper non-GF beer first to test out

Has anyone brewed with the Lallemand NEIPA 11g packets or any of the GFHB new liquid yeasts? Seeing mixed reviews on the Lallemand packs so a little wary of using here, might try on a cheaper non-GF beer first to test out
I just ordered a bottle of English Ale and Hazy IPA liquid yeast from GFHB. Haven’t used either yet, but excited to try the hazy specifically. I’ll update once I have time for a brew day!

Good thought on the rice, not used to brewing with that yet, I'll switch to mostly millet - going to bump up the buckwheat and oats a bit too. Interested to hear how that buckwheat/quinoa combo goes
Along with dropping down the rice %, I would stick with the biscuit rather than the pale rice. Biscuit rice seems to provide the closest barley malt flavors.

Latest attempt, 5 gallons, OG 1.061, FG 1.016
10lb Pale Millet
2lb Pale Buckwheat
2lb GF Flaked Oats
1lb Goldfinch Millet

60min - 0.25oz CTZ
5min - 1oz Citra, 1oz Strata
WP (180F) - 3oz Citra, 3oz Strata
DH (post ferm) - 3oz Citra, 3oz Strata

GFHB Propogate Hazy IPA yeast

Came out really well, body is quite good, head retention still needs some work. I also am getting a bit of an overpowering flavor since starting all grain GF - does anyone find that a largely millet grain bill gives a somewhat wheaty/malty 'off flavor' that's a little overpowering?

Attachments

• IMG_20191126_123805_311.jpg
    IMG_20191126_123805_311.jpg
    2.7 MB · Views: 52
Latest attempt, 5 gallons, OG 1.061, FG 1.016
10lb Pale Millet
2lb Pale Buckwheat
2lb GF Flaked Oats
1lb Goldfinch Millet

60min - 0.25oz CTZ
5min - 1oz Citra, 1oz Strata
WP (180F) - 3oz Citra, 3oz Strata
DH (post ferm) - 3oz Citra, 3oz Strata

GFHB Propogate Hazy IPA yeast

Came out really well, body is quite good, head retention still needs some work. I also am getting a bit of an overpowering flavor since starting all grain GF - does anyone find that a largely millet grain bill gives a somewhat wheaty/malty 'off flavor' that's a little overpowering?

Looks great! I wonder if it may be the buckwheat you're picking up. Some people don't dig it at all.

I also am getting a bit of an overpowering flavor since starting all grain GF - does anyone find that a largely millet grain bill gives a somewhat wheaty/malty 'off flavor' that's a little overpowering?

Yes. I've always thought millet tasted to much like ... millet. I brew with rice malt as a base as it has a much cleaner flavor profile. Still use millet and buckwheat but in lesser quantities.

Looks great! I wonder if it may be the buckwheat you're picking up. Some people don't dig it at all.

Yes. I've always thought millet tasted to much like ... millet. I brew with rice malt as a base as it has a much cleaner flavor profile. Still use millet and buckwheat but in lesser quantities.

Good to know on both of those, think I'll reduce millet base and maybe bring in flaked quinoa on next one to help retain body with the increased rice. I notice the flavor a bit but my wife (who these are primarily for) really seems to notice it on past couple GF beers since I switched to all grain

That's interesting, I've always thought of millet as being the closest to barley in flavor and have used millet as my primary base. Good to see some folks trying more rice, I may have to do that as well.

Back