Gluten free good for diabetics?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

unionrdr

Homebrewer, author & air gun collector
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
I Was wondering if any of you know if gluten free beers would be ok for a type 1 diabetic? My wife can't drink my usual pb/pm biab beers,& I'd like to know if these type of beers would be ok for her? The regular stuff makes her sick somehow. Gestational diabetes caught up with her a couple years ago...& just when my beers were getting good. She misses drinking my beers,& she's receptive to some style of brewing like this one that she could tolerate.

Gluten is a protein, so I don't see how it would be any better for a diabetic to not have gluten in a beer - the complex carbohydrates are going to contribute more to the glycemic index.

You might look into beers with a dry finish/low FG - Japanese style lager, Berliner Weisse, Flanders Red, straight lambic, or gueze.

In general, no, GF beers aren't any better for diabetics. Just the alcohol alone can cause serious blood sugar drops.

A "safer" approach would be a low ABV "dry" beer. She could try to drink one with a meal as that minimizes the alcohol impact.

So it's likely the alcohol causing blood sugar drops that could be making her sick? Sounds like a low to n/a beer is most likely to be tolerated?

Everyone's body is different, so she should really be in contact with her doctor about this. If she is going to try any new items, she should do it in moderation and somewhere where she can test to make sure her blood sugar doesn't get out of control. If her sugar gets so far out of whack from drinking a beer that she gets physically sick, that really isn't something you want to be messing with.

Back