$%*# glue!!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

skelrad

Reaction score
I just got a couple of cases of old bottles from a local guy. Most of these bottles are 10+ years old. They've had their labels removed, but whoever did it didn't care to remove any of the glue. So now they've got 10 year old glue that looks like it's been baked on with age. It's rock hard. I tried soaking in soap and water, but no luck. I suppose my next step is oxyclean, but I didn't have any handy at the time. Soaking in soapy water has always made new labels and glue come right off for me. Is there any big secret to getting the ancient glue off, or am I stuck with ugly looking bottles until I replace them?

Yeah, they will hold beer, but they just look awful.

I feel your pain. The age is probably going to be a factor but the best thing I have ever found to clean the label AND glue off a bottle is boiling for several minutes followed by liberal application of one of those spongey scubber dealies.

Good luck, and let me know if you find a chemical that works!

*edit*
Go badgers!

An overnight soak in PBW and a green scrubbie/scotchbrite will usually do the trick. Also, a proper concentration of StarSan is quite effective as well and many times will even get the print off of Stone's bottles.
The majority of the hardened adhesive can be removed with a razor blade before soaking.

Back