Glucose Or Spray Malt

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

brian kay

Reaction score
Well the reson i'm asking this is as follows i'm on my 6 home brew :mug: but the first one i used glucose and it was so nice then i read every one going on about using spray malt so i started using that but i tastes like S?it :mad:all 5 of my brew have a iron aftertaste. i changed the water source thinking that was it, using same cleaning technics as the first brew,i'm very clean when i comes to brewing.has anyone had the same problem as me

Hmmmm I never has malt give me an iron taste. The best thing to do is experiment and see what mixture you like best. Personally I use a combonation of malt and cornsugar. Some people like to use all malt - some people like to use all sugar.

Play around with your mixtures and keep a log - it will help you keep track of what is working well in terms of flavor for you.

Cheers

Spraymalt should not add an iron taste. These extracts are the basis for lots of extract brewers, and in those quantities a metallic taste would be unbearable. Yet I have never heard of an extract brewer making this complaint. I suspect it was coincidence.

Metallic tastes are difficult to diagnose and can come from a variety of sources, unfortunately. A common one is a canning pot with a chip in it that exposes the metal beneath the porcelain coating.

Beer doesn't come from corn sugar, so I'm not sure where some of these posts are coming from. Sugar basically ferments into pure alcohol and tastes gross if there's too much in a malt bill. Spraymalt shouldn't taste metallic at all, that taste probably came from your hardware, or MAYBE your water.

Back