Glogg - A Swedish Christmas Beverage.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Schlenkerla

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Recipe Type
Extract
Yeast
None
Yeast Starter
None
Additional Yeast or Yeast Starter
None
Batch Size (Gallons)
1.5 - 2 gallons... ish
Original Gravity
N/A
Final Gravity
N/A
Boiling Time (Minutes)
90 minutes.
IBU
N/A
Color
Dark
Primary Fermentation (# of Days & Temp)
N/A
Secondary Fermentation (# of Days & Temp)
N/A
Additional Fermentation
N/A
Tasting Notes
Tastes like Glogg... also mince meat with boooooze,
This is a recipe that came from my father-in-laws old Marine Corps buddy. I have never made this, but drank it several times and its good to drink when you're beer'd out but not done drinking. Its smooth and has a great holiday spice.

1 package of 9 Oz on Glogg Spice mix. "Grandpa Lundquist" or make your own spice mix.

51K0iMeP8KL._SY355_.jpg

DIY - Spice Mix
1/2 cup Regular Raisins.
1/2 cup Bleached Raisins.
6 Whole Cloves
4 Blanched White Almonds
2 Cinnamon Sticks
2 dried pitted prunes
3 dried apricots
1 tsp of cardamom
Mix spices with fruit and store until use

The Booze....

2 bottles of 1.5L of Tawney Port
1 bottle of 750ml of Seagrams 7
1 bottle of 200ml of Everclear Grain Alcohol - 190F
1 bottle of 1L of Captain Morgan Original Spiced Rum
1 bottle of Yagu Sangria

Misc Stuff
24 bottles (1 case)
1 Funnel
1 glass container with pouring spout
1 Muslin Hop Sack
Labels

IF YOU BUY THE GLOGG SPICE BAG, DO NOT USE THE RECIPE ON THE BAG!

Procedure;

1) Put 2 quarts of water on a 8 qrt stock pot or larger. Add Glogg spice mix and bring to a boil. Simmer for 90 minutes.

2) Add all the booze after 90 minutes. Bring to the edge of a boil, but don't boil. 180-200F. Raisins are supposed to float at this point. It will take about 45 to 60 minutes to reach this temp.

3) Light a fire on top of the glogg liquor. Let burn for 20 seconds, blow out or cover with lid. Relight the the glogg liquor again. Let burn for 10 seconds, blow out or cover to kill the flame. This is supposed to make it taste smoother.

4) Allow the glogg to cool at least 20-30 minutes. Drink warm and/or bottle and this point.

5) Do not cork or cap until its cooled to room temperature.

This recipe is verbatum from this old gentleman's notes. He's not a home brewer, so take that into account with your critique. Apparently this is an old family recipe the men used to make during Christmas.

I like it, but it might take long time to drink a case of this stuff. My FIL's friend (Wes) passes these out to all his friends. He has no problem giving it away!!!

One tip he gave me is to use the Glogg raisins in rice pudding. Roughly a half cup. He suggests adding one almond. Whoever gets the almond will have good luck the next year.

Cheers!!!

This will get you fockerd up if you're not careful about how much drink. :D

Last edited:
I brought this to my home brew club meeting last year. Everybody seemed to love it and wanted the recipe. That's why I'm posting it here. It took me a year to get it though. One friend said this is the kind of thing you hide until the wife goes to bed so you don't have to share. :D

It's a must for Christmas, usually to be drinked warm. My father in law used to make his own, the home made glögg is usually more alcohol and the commercially available is more like wine. In recent years the fantasy of the glögg producers seems to have explode, all kinds of glögg is now available.

It's a must for Christmas, usually to be drinked warm. My father in law used to make his own, the home made glögg is usually more alcohol and the commercially available is more like wine. In recent years the fantasy of the glögg producers seems to have explode, all kinds of glögg is now available.
Have you made any or did you choose to buy?

Have you made any or did you choose to buy?
I haven't got around doing it this year, yet. We usually buy a low alcohol version and make our own stronger, based on my father in laws recipe. I don't have it on hand now, but out of my head it's something like 1 part cognac, 2 parts red wine and 4 parts (unspiced) brandy/schnapps/vodka/brännvin (as it's called in sweden), adjustable depending how strong one wants it. Traditional spices, like cloves, cinnamon, orange peel, cardamom, ginger and some sugar to control the amount of sweetnes you want.

Back