Glass or Plastic Fermenter? That's my question!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Blanda

Reaction score
Hi everybody, I would like some advice... I've always used comon ppl fermenters, there are cheap and more safe than glass fermenters and they do their job...
But now I have the chance of bying some Pyrex 20 lts. Bottles very cheap. Should I buy them? or keep on using PPL?

I leave you a image of the bottle:
img.jpg

Would buy those for long term aging if they are cheap as you say. Have not seen those in the USA. Putting them in a milk crate or some kind of strap for carrying would make them easier to deal with.

Blanda,
I have used glass for both primary and secondary fermentation with good success. I would definately buy them if they are cheap like SamC said. Also, the comment about putting them in a crate to handle is spot on. Luck - Dwain

There were made in my country (Argentina) with licence of Rigolleau (USA). It's Pyrex glass, and I can buy them for u$d 13,50.-

If you're happy with your beers and process now I suspect that using a glass fermentor isn't going to make any improvements in the quality of your beer. So it's really personal preference, if you want glass and they are cheap go for it. If you are happy with your beer with what you are using save your money. fwiw I started with glass and have switched to plastic barrels now that I am doing 10 gallon batches. I got the 15 gallon barrels for free and all of the beers that have come out of them so far have been excellent.

20 liters isn't big enough for a primary. They would be good for secondaries though. This is assuming you are going the standard 20 liter/quart batches

For my own two cents on glass vs plastic.... I prefer glass only because plastic, over the long run, will get tony scratches in it and get to the point where it is almost impossible to get sanitized. Maybe I'm just being WAY too paranoid (entirely possible) but I've got all glass fermenters instead of just waiting for a batch to end up with a bug when it wasn't supposed to.

I have had the entire bottom of a glass carboy come off, and other have had to have surgery due to massive cuts via glass.

I can lift a full 6 gallon better bottle with one hand and carry it upstairs.

I have had the entire bottom of a glass carboy come off, and other have had to have surgery due to massive cuts via glass.

I can lift a full 6 gallon better bottle with one hand and carry it upstairs.

Wow! How'd that happen?

I used Glass primaries for a while, but I converted for one reason: CLEANUP! It helps that the bucket has a spigot on the bottom for easy racking. I still use glass secondaries for obvious reasons.

Wow! How'd that happen?

I used Glass primaries for a while, but I converted for one reason: CLEANUP! It helps that the bucket has a spigot on the bottom for easy racking. I still use glass secondaries for obvious reasons.

Apparently, it had a hairline crack. I added the wort, and picked up the carboy. The THICK glass bottom came off, and hit my foot. 5.5 gallons of wort hit the kitchen floor...

:(

Apparently, it had a hairline crack. I added the wort, and picked up the carboy. The THICK glass bottom came off, and hit my foot. 5.5 gallons of wort hit the kitchen floor...
Incidentally, that's why I think the Brew Hauler is the best $12 I've invested in this hobby. It's great for glass and plastic, making the carboys far easier to carry around.

-Joe

Back