glass full of foam??

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BA_from_GA

Reaction score
Been kegging for about 6-7 months. Just swapped from picnic taps in a fridge to 525s on a keezer. Everything converted over fine no pressure problems.

Last night I swapped an empty keg out. The New keg was cold and under pressure at 12psi in the fridge for about 8 or 10 days (after an initial 7 days at 25psi) until I put it into the keezer also at 12 psi. This has been my normal rotation... Only varriation from previous kegs is that I had this one cold in advance since I now have the keezer.

I go to pull a glass and litterally get all foam. After a minute or two I have 1/2 glass of beer, and 1/2 of head that won't go down.

Anything sound off here? Not sure why I'm gettin all foam.

The beer is over-carbonated unfortunately. This happened to me once when I used to force carb at 30 psi. Since then I set at serving pressure and shake for 10 minutes if I want it carbed quick. I never go above serving pressure though because the beer will not take on more pressure than the keg is holding so its impossible to overcarb this way. Just my .02.

+1 on overcarbed. 7 days at 25 psi sounds way too long before purging and backing down to 12 psi. Was it under a constant 25 psi for the full 7 days or did you put it under 25 psi for a short period of time to purge off 02 and seal the lid? With a new keg, I typically put it in the keezer for 24 hours to bring the beer down to temp, then hook up the CO2 and apply 20 psi for 24 to 48 hrs. maximum. I then purge and set at 12 psi and it has been perfect eveytime. That or I just put it under 12 psi and wait the 1 1/2 to 2 weeks for it to gradually carb. Granted, I too am relatively new to kegging and am certainly not an expert, just giving a little feedback from my research on HBT and experience thus far. I'm not quite sure why that method worked so well in the past with picnic taps. :confused: Unfortunately, you will need to disconnect the CO2 and periodically purge the keg over time to bring CO2 our of solution. Good luck! :mug:

I checked my notes, and i did leave it on the higher pressure for too long. I usually do 2-4 days, then drop it to 12psi, but this one got away from me. I've already shut off the gas line for that keg and have been purging periodically.... guess this just means i have to wait a little longer to drink it.

Yes, but it's also giving your beer time to condition a little longer, which will only make it better. :eek: Regardless, it should turn out great once the carbonation levels fall. :mug:

Latest posts

Back