Glass Clinking: How do you "Cheers"?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BarleyDarling

Reaction score
We all toast, but what is your favorite way? Do you say cheers, solute, prost, kampai, etc.?

Some people like to clink glass and tap the table before they drink for good luck.

My grandfather always said, "may we be in heaven a half hour before the devil knows we're dead" at every toast.

What is your favorite way to raise a glass?

I touch the base of the glass or bottle to my forehead then clink the air in front of me and say the gaelic for of cheers (slainte).

I usually jump on the table and flip off he while room while downing my drink.

Or, cheers, or salud if I'm with my coworkers.

I knew I was spelling that wrong. Salude. Obvious I don't use that much.

Any cheers involving flips or head butts are always considered next level maneuvers.

If I'm with Japanese, I say "kanpai." If I'm with Americans, I either say nothing or "Why the hell aren't you drinking, man?"

Gānbēi, but it gets a bit dicey. It literally means "dry cup", which means you're supposed to drink it down, followed by holding the cup upside down or sideways to demonstrate that you really did kill it, and it's often filled with nasty-ass bǎijiǔ, a spirit so bad that distilling it and forcing people to drink it are the unspoken eighth and ninth deadly sins. Fortunately, "gānbēi" is often accompanied with a finger motion indicating how far down the glass you're realistically expected to drink on this particular toast, so in practice a bǎijiǔ lunch is a survivable encounter if approached with the proper amount of caution.

The actual clinking of the glasses is significant as well: always two hands on the glass - one on the side and the other on the bottom - and there's usually a battle of wits and dexterity to see who can clink from a lower level than the other, indicating (largely meaningless) deference in the Confucian, I'm-not-really-being-genuine-about-this-but-at-least-I-put-on-a-good-show sort of way.

With non-Chinese, usually just "cheers!", sometimes "prost!" for fun. Clink if that's what people are doing and it's not out of the way.

they do this way too much over here. even if there's no alcohol. it's crazy. but it does lighten up the atmosphere in the room i suppose. like "hey, this moment is worth celebrating. because we're alive. and we live in one of the richest nations on earth."
so it's "skål" for me.

p.s. it's "salud" if it's the spanish version you're referring to.

"Salute cent anni" translates loosely from Italian to "good luck for a hundred years" or "buona fortuna" translates directly from Italian to just "good luck". A friend has a hard time with pronunciations (he's not Italian) and after having a few they come out as " keep your chin down" and "bone for tuna".

Times have changed with age... Now, we usually just go all in and clank everyone's glasses together and yell "Cheers!" or "Here's to beers!" then slam the glass on the table and chug 'em down. Back in the day it used to get a little crazy... glasses were broken, beer was wasted, and so were we. :tank:

I don't like glass clinking. It is far too overused around here. People will say 'cheers' then 'clink my drink!', and that is where I get annoyed. They get all pissy if you don't clink and some will get offended. Just say cheers and raise your glass if you must, don't force it on me.

Don't get me wrong though. I'm not a bitter anti-social prick, it's just not my first time drinking. Cheers is reserved for sincere moments with friends and family for me.

We all toast, but what is your favorite way? Do you say cheers, solute, prost, kampai, etc.?

Some people like to clink glass and tap the table before they drink for good luck.

My grandfather always said, "may we be in heaven a half hour before the devil knows we're dead" at every toast.

What is your favorite way to raise a glass?

I'm stealing your grandfathers saying

I spent a lot of time drinking with people in the cigar industry, which is obviously very hispanic centric.. for this reason, I say Salud.

Back