Glass Carboy Closed Transfer Question.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Gytaryst

Reaction score
I bought a 2.5 gallon glass jar to use as a primary fermenter.

Sp4GQ4O.jpg

I would like to be able to do closed transfers into a 1.75 gallon corny keg. The lid for this jar is extremely cheap, thin metal. I was wondering if anyone has done this and what hardware did you use? I know I need a gas side and liquid side post and a blow-off tube. My first question is how difficult or practical is it going to be to install 2 posts and whatever I use for a blow off tube in that thin of metal? I know cutting, drilling or punching the holes is going to be tricky.
My second question is; what ball lock fittings would be best for this application? I took a look on Brew Hardware but he sells so many difference variations I can't tell which ones are best for what I'm trying to do. Any help is appreciated.

I know I can buy a 2.5 gallon corny keg and accomplish this. They're $75 a whack vs $15 for the glass jar. I'll need at least 4, if not 6, so I'm hoping I can use the glass. I also like the idea that I can see it while I'm doing the transfer to help minimize pushing trub through. I know light is the enemy of beer, but transferring from keg to keg has always been a pain.

Latest posts

Back