glass 6.5 gallon carboy cracks

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

plusultra

Reaction score
About 4 months ago I bought a glass 6.5 gallon carboy. I did not notice any cracks in the glass. I fermented 4 gallons hard cider, cleaned and stored. I just fermented and moved to another carboy for secondary fermentation. While cleaning it I noticed about a 6 inch scratch/ crack on the taper of the neck area and found a 3" crack on the bottom. The wort was chilled before going in (76 degrees). I do lift it from the neck and bottom when moving it into keezer. Would that break it or is it defective? Do I need one of those lifting straps?

Can you post some pics, sometimes those aren't really cracks but imperfections in the glass that aren't detrimental.

I did not see them before and I can feel some with my finger nail. I'm getting a free plastic one as a replacement and picked up a pony keg that I will ferment in as well. I'm not sure how to post the picture on here and I think they are hard to see.

Back