Ginger in beer

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Deon Botha

Reaction score
Hey brewer friends. Just wanted to know if there is anyone on here that might have experience with adding fresh ginger to your brew? I am planning on doing a Golden Ale with ginger and honey, but I am unsure of the amount of ginger needed to add just that slight undertone of ginger. Any advice will be appreciated. Thank you in advance

I usually make a Christmas beer that has a half oz of fresh grated ginger root in a 2.5 gallon batch. I put in cinnamon sticks too but the ginger isn't too pronounced yet it's there. I put it all in with 5 minutes left in the boil.

When I was researching my ginger molasses porter, I came across this site: Brewing with Ginger – NC Home Brewing. I used 2 oz. of fresh ginger and it was noticeable. I think I’ll use a little less next time. If you’re unsure about the flavor, start low.
Yea, for 5 gallons, I'd start with 1 oz of shredded fresh ginger root and add it late in the boil, almost at flame out. I find that carbonation brings out a lot of the ginger character. Once you get that ginger smell it'll come through the pallet more.

Back