Gilde

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gilde

Reaction score
Hello Ladies and Gentlemen - I'm a long time visitor, first time poster...Enjoy all of the discussion - this is the undoubtedly the best forum on the topic of homebrewing I have found - glad to be part of the discussion.

I have a quick question that has been discussed previously on this forum without the answer I need. I have a wheat beer that's been in primary for about 3 days...last night I checked it out and some krausen was blowing through the airlock...it seems to have subsided at this point but I'm concerned about the quality of the water in the airlock...Is it better to leave it alone or should I try a clean and sanitized airlock??? From what I've read today it seems like a blow-off setup is better on a wheat beer...

Thanks in advance for any advice on this subject.

Thanks for the quick response - glad to know it's that simple for future reference...

i'm finding that a lot of the things we homebrewers worry about when we first start out are solved easily... i've asked a few questions on here and just about every answer i've gotten just confirmed whatever i had already been thinking...

so in other words, when in doubt, try it out! as long as you use some common sense, your beer should turn out just fine...

gilde said:
From what I've read today it seems like a blow-off setup is better on a wheat beer...

A blow-off is preferable whenever the combination of vigorous fermentation and small fermenter means that the krausen can reach the top. If it has happened once w/ your setup, just figure it can happen again and start using a blowoff right from the start. It is just as secure against infiltration of outside air as an airlock, and you don't have to wory about cleaning and replacing airlocks. Just put one end of the tube through the bung for the carboy, and the other end in a bucket w/ sanitizer in it.

I had a similar situation with a Honey Wheat. The airlock filled with foam, I cleaned it and refilled it. Then it blew off three times in the first 36 hours of fermentation. Each time I cleaned it and replaced it. The beer is great and has had no signs of infection or problems.

Next time I plan to buy a blowoff hose.

Back