Gigayeast Fast Souring Lacto and Brett?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

eric19312

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Has anyone tried an all Brett Drie and GB110 fermentation? Looking to do this in a Berliner(ish) and interested in seeing if there is experience out there. Will stick with simple 60/40 pale/wheat malt bill and little to no hops.

I am thinking to start the full batch at 70F with just the GB110, then after Lacto gets a good start, splitting and pitching half with just a large pitch of Brett Drie (perhaps a cup of slurry from a recent all Brett IPA) and the other split with US-05 and a small amount of the Brett.

Any experience especially with GB110 that might help me fine tune the idea?

I've been thinking about brewing the same thing. But I was thinking I'd pitch and hold the GB110 at 98°F. When I'm happy with the acidity, I was going to cool and pitch the Brett Drie.

These are the recommendations from GigaYeast:
We recommend brewing with GB110 in one of three ways. I) “Hot Start”: Pitch GB110 to wort at 98 F with little or no hops for 48-72 hrs. Wort may be soured before kettle boil or after. If soured before kettle boil, boil with hop additions as usual. If soured after kettle boil cool wort and pitch yeast. II) “Co-Pitch”: Pitch GB110 into a primary with yeast of your choice at 68-72 F. Wort that is less than 1050 and 7 IBU will typically be very sour in 2-3 weeks. III) “Secondary”: Pitch GB110 after primary fermentation for an aged sour. Souring by this method typically requires several months. Adding simple sugars or fruit etc. will enhance souring in the secondary.

Is there a reason you want to pitch the GB110 alone at 70°F? With lactobacillus from grain, you want to keep the temperature high to hinder Clostridium from creating butyric acid. If this is the reason GigaYeast recommends the high temperature, you might be taking a risk with the lacto alone at 70°F for two weeks.

Is there a reason you want to pitch the GB110 alone at 70°F? With lactobacillus from grain, you want to keep the temperature high to hinder Clostridium from creating butyric acid. If this is the reason GigaYeast recommends the high temperature, you might be taking a risk with the lacto alone at 70°F for two weeks.

I was looking at this on the Gigayeast website:

14 days at 71 F in 1045 sweet wort, pH 5.6
Apparent Attenuation– 40%
ABV—NA
Final pH– 3.6 (100X acidification)
1.4% lactic acid W/V

48 hrs at 98 F in 1045 sweet wort, pH 5.6
Apparent Attenuation– 15%
ABV– NA
Final pH– 3.6 (100X acidification)
0.6% lactic acid W/V

Was thinking I wanted to get the 1.4% lactic acid but now realize you probably get there with the hot start too. Probably 2-3 days at 98 then cool to 70 and pitch sacc or brett would be fine.

With lactobacillus from grain, you want to keep the temperature high to hinder Clostridium from creating butyric acid.

I'm sorry to be the one to inform you, but like lacto, clostridium works better at higher temps too.

Back