GF Recipe Builder - Crazy Numbers?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Snuffy

Reaction score
I have purchased a G30 and I am building 5 gal recipes on the GF site from the kit instructions so I can brew them using the phone app. I switched the units over to US Standard. I have gotten FG numbers that are well below 1.000 and ABV numbers as high as 37%. This is from 10 - 11 lb grain bills and 75% estimated mash efficiency. I'm picking grain types from the list supplied in the app and sometimes I have to just get as close as possible because the descriptions in the instructions can be more generic than the choices offered, but that shouldn't throw the calculations off that much. I've sent a wtf? email to GF support. Anybody else have this happen? I've seen a few other public recipes on the website that have ABV numbers that look too high, but not as bad as some of mine.

No problems with the app for me at all. Might try uninstall then reinstall it. Is this the app you have ?

Attachments

• Screenshot_20201113-051518_Grainfather.jpg
    Screenshot_20201113-051518_Grainfather.jpg
    399.9 KB · Views: 17
Maybe make sure your units are correct? I know I have entered stuff thinking I selected Oz/g but it was Lb/Kg and that will definitely send your numbers through the roof. You could also use the website instead of the phone app. They will sync from the site to your phone app.

I am building them on the website and they transfer to the app. I have the units set to US Standard so it’s all in gal and oz. The quantities are correct. I‘ve checked them multiple times. The expected OG is coming out on target. There has to be something wrong in the calculations for it to get that low a FG and that high an ABV from OG 1.054 wort. How can I input anything that would drive the FG down to .0767?
I’m gonna go thru it again and double check units. Thanks for responding. I’m about to scratch a bald spot on my head.

Last edited:
So I punched in your recipe on my GF app and this is what I get

Og 1.054
Fg 1.008
Ibu 33.1
Ebc 11.1
Any idea what I’m doing wrong?
i think I will delete it and start over using the app instead of the website.

Last edited:
I'm having the same and/or similar problem. I found a Long Trail Double Bag clone recipe. I added into the recipe builder on the grainfather website.

Original recipe and numbers:
Size: 5.0 gal
Efficiency: 75.0%
Attenuation: 75.0%
Original Gravity: 1.076
Terminal Gravity: 1.019
Color: 19.4
Alcohol: 7.57%
IBU: 37.07

Ingredients:
12.5 lbs. Pale Ale Malt
0.25 lbs. American Chocolate Malt
1.0 lbs. Wheat Malt
1.0 lbs. 2-Row Caramel Malt 80L
1.0 oz. Northern Brewer (8.0%) - added during boil, boiled 60.0 min
0.5 oz. Willamette (5.0%) - added during boil, boiled 20.0 min
0.5 oz. Mt. Hood (5.0%) - added during boil, boiled 5.0 min
1.0 ea. Danstar Nottingham

Using the same ingredients in the recipe builder on the grainfather I get:
OG 1.062
FG 1.016
SRM 14.5
IBU 26.2
BU:GU 0.42
ABV 6.12%

Then I add the yeast to the recipe and it goes whacky:
OG 1.062
FG 1.081
SRM 14.5
IBU 26.2
BU:GU0.42
ABV -2.50%

Checked everything and don't know why. Any suggestions as to why? Planning on getting BeerSmith and just exporting the recipe to have in the app.

i have reported my issue to GF support and sent my recipe results to them per their request so they can get a look at it. I’ve built 3 and they are all off in some way or another. The only one I had the higher FG than OG on was a stout with a late addition of Lactose sugar. I took that out and then added it back and it took the FG below 1.0 and calculated a 10.7% ABV that should have been about 6-7%. Now every recipe I build has an extremely low FG - as low as .0767 and high ABV. I took the same recipes to some other online sites and built them the same way and they come out fine.
Sorry to hear you have the issue but kinda glad it’s not just me.:mug:
i will post the solution if I ever figure it out.

I will shoot an email off to them and will keep you posted if I hear anything. Thanks for everyone’s help. Greatly appreciated.

I will shoot an email off to them and will keep you posted if I hear anything. Thanks for everyone’s help. Greatly appreciated.
Turnaround for a response has been about 3 days for me. You may want to export your recipe to a pdf and attach it to your email and save yourself a step.

I got a response from Abby at GF. She said my recipe and issue have been turned over to the "tech team".

In the meantime, I've built 2 more recipes in GF app and they too have incorrect FGs and ABVs. I've tried building it from the bottom up instead of top down. I've changed ingredients since there are about 3 different grain choices that could work for each type listed in the recipes. (ie 2-row Brewers Malt) Played with mash efficiencies and attenuation values. Still not right. Not a lot else to try other than leaving the units in metric. I guess that's next.

Finally got around to sending the email today. I've been a bit lazy. (truthfully I got sidetracked and forgot) Will keep you updated.

Finally a response from GF Suppport:

"Sam (Grainfather)
Nov 30, 2020, 19:59 GMT
Good day,
Thank you for your patience whilst our tech team looked into this. They believe this was happening due to the FG adjustment values on the preference page being set to invalid values, possibly caused by a bug.
Can we please ask you to check on your side and confirm that it's working now?
Thank you,
Sam - Consumer Experience Advocate - Grainfather"

I'm about to go build another recipe now and see what I get.

It's fixed. Even my old recipes now have FG and ABV numbers that make sense w/o re-doing them.

Last edited:
When I enter the recipe, the choices are very specific in the app but are pretty generic in the ingredients. I'll have 8.5 lbs of "2-Row Brewers Malt" but GF choices have like 8 different suppliers brands listed in addition to Generic. I usually choose Generic. Does it really matter?

When I enter the recipe, the choices are very specific in the app but are pretty generic in the ingredients. I'll have 8.5 lbs of "2-Row Brewers Malt" but GF choices have like 8 different suppliers brands listed in addition to Generic. I usually choose Generic. Does it really matter?

I dont think it really matters a whole lot. Some may have a slight lovibond difference but not enough to really matter

I dont think it really matters a whole lot. Some may have a slight lovibond difference but not enough to really matter
I saw different numbers associated with the different brands but had no idea what those meant in terms of differences in fermentable sugar production Or not. I think it’s mostly color.

Back