GF Conical

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jclark248

Reaction score
First time using this system and I went to dump the yeast on the dual valve after 3 days (shoulda done sooner) but dump valve is clogged. Sample valve is yeasty, so guessing I got a good cake in the funnel. Any way to unclog or will I be siphoning to keg?

I have SS Brewtech conicals with the elbow joint on the bottom going to the dump valve. When they get clogged, I use a spare corny keg dip tube to unclog it. I sanitize it in Star San and then use the curved end of the dip tube to loosen up the trub/yeast in the elbow while holding a plastic pitcher under the valve. Works like a charm.

Thank you, I’ll keep that in mind. Funny thing, I was attempting to unclog in an unconventional way, that I won’t admit to, and it seems to have fixed it self. By the looks of the dump, the cake just broke up through the center, couple of quarts and cake chunks sludge and beer. Learned a lesson hard way, I’ll open dump valve every day to prevent a large loss. Oh well, learning curve

If you ever run into this problem again, try pumping the dump valve lever a couple time. I have to do this sometimes with highly flocculant yeast, such as WLP007. That stuff comes out of the dump valve like my fermenter is pooping. Make sure you have a catch vessel ready for when the yeast is cleared. The beer will come out fast once plug is gone.

I use a plastic pitcher when I open the dump valve. I have about 6-7 of them around for this purpose, for soda water and for beer at parties. They are cheap and work great for many brewing needs.
Pitcher.jpg

Back