GF Coffee Stout?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

irishvermin

Reaction score
My wife loves stouts and porters, and recently started a gluten free diet and so I'm thinking of how I can get the same flavors into a GF beer. Currently have a sorghum Pale Ale in secondary, and next I'd like to try a stout. I'm new to alternative grain brewing, but figured that coffee might be able to contribute the roasted flavors and possibly some color?

Here is 5 gallon recipe I was thinking so far:
Steep 1lb toasted GF oats, then add:
1lb dark Belgian candi syrup
1lb dark brown sugar
1/2 lb molasses syrup
Boil with 1oz cascade hops, add 6oz malto-dextrine at 5min remain, and add 6.6lbs of sorghum lme at flameout

Not sure of best way to add the coffee and how much to use? Thought maybe steeping very coarse grind with oats before boil, and then also adding a small amount of brewed very strong coffee to secondary.

Thoughts? Anyone else successfully done something like this?

There are some threads giving good advice on GF stouts in this forum. I would do some searching with "homebrewtalk" in the search line. Igliashon's "no-nonsense stout" is a good sorghum version. I did this one and partial mash version that both came out well. My post with a link to the original:
https://www.homebrewtalk.com/showthread.php?t=507973

Regarding the recipe suggestion above, my suggestion would be to not use nearly that much molasses syrup.

If you really want to get into the stout territory, you probably want to go all grain. You can get some great roasted rice malts. I think it is better to get the "stout" from the grain rather than other things like molasses any belgian candy syrup. Not that molasses and belgian candy syrup don't have their place ... I think they are great adding subtle flavor to try to get something special. I used them to try to get a Fat Tyre type brew and it worked out great, but it was far from a stout!
https://www.homebrewtalk.com/showthread.php?t=443549

Good luck!

Clarity Ferm. Works wonders. And there is scientific evidence showing it's effectiveness at removing gluten.

There is another post in the Gluten Free forum with the link to a Basic Brewing episode where this is tested by a scientist.

Latest posts

Back