GF Blue Moon Clone Tweaking

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

fostee

Reaction score
Hello all,

I recently brewed a GF Blue Moon clone and it turned out ok, but I'd like to improve on the recipe. It was a little twangy from the sorghum and I'd like to minimize this taste. I also did not have the pleasant orang/coriander taste, even though I used them both in the recipe. Here is what I did.

2.5 Gallon batch

2 lb sorghum extract @ 60 mins
1.25 lb brown rice extract @ 60 mins
0.5 oz cascade @ 60 mins
0.125 lb beet sugar @ 60 mins

0.06 lb maltodextrin @ 15 mins
0.35 oz cracked coriander seed @ 10 mins
0.5 tsp Irish moss @ 10 mins
0.5 tsp diammonium phosphate @ 5 mins
0.5 oz sweet orange peel @ 1 min

1 packet belle saison yeast

Primary fermenter 2 weeks
Bottle conditioned 2 weeks

It's drinkable and tastes ok, but I would like to get closer to the great taste of the original. My thoughts are to increase orange and coriander additions, changing sorghum addition to flame out, and to consider steeping a grain.

Thank you for any help!

Below is my basic Wit recipe.
not exactly a bluemoon clone (this is probably lower gravity), but its nice...take what you can from it.
I have made several variations of this, and am always happy with it.
if you really dont like the taste of sorghum syrup, you could use rice extract...I dont find it too objectionable in this style.

"Mash":
1lb cracked toasted buckwheat
2 tsp amylase
1 tsp gypsum

Boil:
3 lb sorghum syrup (60)
6 oz maltodextrine (more could be good) (60)
1oz hallertau (60)
1/2 whirlfloc tab (15)
1/2 oz hallertau (15)
1/2 oz orange peal dry (15)
1 tbs coriander whole (5)
1/2 oz hallertau (5)
1 tsp DAP (1)
1 lb D-45 Candi syrup (0)

1 tbs coriander whole ( dry "hop" in the secondary)

You also might consider a different yeast. T-58 might work better. Belle Saison is great but, I don't think it will give you the right yeast profile for Blue Moon.

I just made a Belgian golden strong with Belle Saison. Came out fantastic but, beer snobs will still be able to tell it's a Saison yeast.

Good luck with this.

Below is my basic Wit recipe.
not exactly a bluemoon clone (this is probably lower gravity), but its nice...take what you can from it.
I have made several variations of this, and am always happy with it.
if you really dont like the taste of sorghum syrup, you could use rice extract...I dont find it too objectionable in this style.

"Mash":
1lb cracked toasted buckwheat
2 tsp amylase
1 tsp gypsum

Boil:
3 lb sorghum syrup (60)
6 oz maltodextrine (more could be good) (60)
1oz hallertau (60)
1/2 whirlfloc tab (15)
1/2 oz hallertau (15)
1/2 oz orange peal dry (15)
1 tbs coriander whole (5)
1/2 oz hallertau (5)
1 tsp DAP (1)
1 lb D-45 Candi syrup (0)

1 tbs coriander whole ( dry "hop" in the secondary)

Reviving this post as my buddy's wife just got diagnosed with Ciliac. What temp is the Mash? How long did you mash? What is the batch size (gal)

Thanks!!!!

Hello all,

I recently brewed a GF Blue Moon clone and it turned out ok, but I'd like to improve on the recipe. It was a little twangy from the sorghum and I'd like to minimize this taste. I also did not have the pleasant orang/coriander taste, even though I used them both in the recipe. Here is what I did.

2.5 Gallon batch

2 lb sorghum extract @ 60 mins
1.25 lb brown rice extract @ 60 mins
0.5 oz cascade @ 60 mins
0.125 lb beet sugar @ 60 mins

0.06 lb maltodextrin @ 15 mins
0.35 oz cracked coriander seed @ 10 mins
0.5 tsp Irish moss @ 10 mins
0.5 tsp diammonium phosphate @ 5 mins
0.5 oz sweet orange peel @ 1 min

1 packet belle saison yeast

Primary fermenter 2 weeks
Bottle conditioned 2 weeks

It's drinkable and tastes ok, but I would like to get closer to the great taste of the original. My thoughts are to increase orange and coriander additions, changing sorghum addition to flame out, and to consider steeping a grain.

Thank you for any help!

No Mash?

The mash temp would depend on what brand of amylase you use.

Knowing what I know now, I would use Termamyl amylase and mash at 180F. I would probably add a pound of biscuit malted rice to the mash as well.

I would also replace the sorghum syrup with rice syrup...sorghum tastes bad.

Rice syrup lacks body (it's too fermentable), but it tastes better than sorghum. Mashing with Termamyl will leave lots of dextrines to compensate for the lack of body in the rice syrup.

The mash temp would depend on what brand of amylase you use.

Knowing what I know now, I would use Termamyl amylase and mash at 180F. I would probably add a pound of biscuit malted rice to the mash as well.

Sorry, I'm an AG brewer, and am not familiar with this process. I don't see any Amylase in the OP recipe, or is it being called something else?

The OP used all extract so amylase is not required. Use of grains such as the above mentioned biscuit malted rice requires amylase during mash.

Latest posts

Back