Getting that beautiful nose on your beers

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jdonley

Reaction score
I make an APA and an IPA both of which have 3 oz of FO addtions and 3 oz of hopstand additions below 150 degrees. I've recently upped my game (lol) doing primary fermentation dry hopping and closed transfer to a CO2 purged keg containing another round of dry hops, and then (just no way of getting around this run on) another closed transfer to my CO2 purged serving keg. I just can't get that overwhelming aroma with my APA/IPA's. What more can I do?

Add some gypsum to the boil. Helps the hops stand out. Also try to ferment at a lower temp than usual. Fermenting at a lower temp will help preserve aroma. Fermenting under pressure is even better. When your beer is 80-90% fermented then dump in the dry hop addtion.

A hopstand is the best way to impart flavor and aroma in my book. Just dont take the temp down that low. If you feel you need to chill it a bit don't take it below 190. Dump in all of your late addtion hops at flame out and let it sit for 30 min. Disclaimer: this is what I do and it works for me. Other methods may be just as effective...... :)

In my current IPA I have 6 oz in the whirlpool and 6 oz in the dryhop. Mostly Amarillo and Simcoe, with some Columbus and Centennial in the background. It's nice n stinky. What varieties are you using? FWIW, I think gypsum helps accentuate hop bitterness, but not hop aroma/flavour. NEIPAs go the other way (higher chloride to sulfate ratio, so definitely no gypsum) and they're all about maximum hop stink and low bitterness.

+1 on hop choice being significant. I had my most success with Citra, with this:
Lawson's Double Sunshine Clone

My current IPA has 3oz Cascade whirlpool plus 3 oz Cascade, 3 oz Mosaic and 1 oz Columbus and that's quite nice on the nose.

So you don't say the volume of dry hops you're adding. More is more .. diminishing returns but makes a difference.

I also agree with hop choice. Had a IPA with 1 oz pellet citra in keg, second time i used 1 oz whole leaf citra and bottled from the keg. After 3 months I cracked open the whole leaf and was smacked in the face with citra aroma.

Dry hops and LOTS of them. Add between 7-9oz to achieve that explosive aroma.

Hopbursting...start your first addition at 30 min, then depending on what you're aiming for...hit the last 15, 10, and 5 with a heavy hops...again, depending on what you're aiming for...create a hop schedule......I've made some amazing IPA's this way....great aroma and flavor...
Every once in a while i'll dry hop and hop burst together, usually its one or the other.

[...]I just can't get that overwhelming aroma with my APA/IPA's. What more can I do?

Along with massive post-boil/dry hop additions, don't serve your hop bomb as if it was Natty Ice.
Beer, like wine, will open up as the temperature rises...

Cheers! :mug:

My current beer has an amazing aroma. I'm surprised yours wouldn't have more. My current beer has a total of 8oz.

2oz Magnum for 45 minutes, then add 2oz Cascade for another 15 minutes (total 60-minute boil).
Remove the kettle from the burner, add 2oz Columbus, cover with tight lid, and let sit for 25 minutes.
Chill/pitch/ferment.
After hitting FG, add 2oz Centennial.
Wait a week or two (forgot how long it was down there, sorry).

After fours days in the keg, just pouring a beer fills the air with hops. I can sit there and sniff the glass for minutes before even wanting to take my first sip.

The beer I have in secondary will hopefully be a monster. It's close to the same recipe, but I added 4oz of Willamette for 30 minutes before beginning the hop regiment above, so they were in there for 90 minutes before flame out. So, next batch has 12oz. of hops.
I know Willamette isn't a bittering hop. They smelled a little "off" to me, but I didn't want to throw them away, so I boiled the snot out of them for what little AA I could get, killing whatever it was that I didn't want the aroma of.

I'm going to try my next batch with only Citra and Centennial.
I'd also like to try a SMaSH with all Magnum.

Add some gypsum to the boil. Helps the hops stand out. Also try to ferment at a lower temp than usual. Fermenting at a lower temp will help preserve aroma. Fermenting under pressure is even better. When your beer is 80-90% fermented then dump in the dry hop addtion.

A hopstand is the best way to impart flavor and aroma in my book. Just dont take the temp down that low. If you feel you need to chill it a bit don't take it below 190. Dump in all of your late addtion hops at flame out and let it sit for 30 min. Disclaimer: this is what I do and it works for me. Other methods may be just as effective...... :)

Lots of good advice here. I do the same thing.

Back