Getting ready to start kegging

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jfinke

Reaction score
I have been brewing on and off for many years. The reason I tend to stop is that I hate bottling. ;)

So, I want to start to build out a keg system. I am trying to figure out what I need.

I plan on building a keezer using the GE 7.0cft chest freezer. That should get me four ball lock kegs. I plan on starting with two kegs.

I am also thinking about doing some carbonated water, just to mix with some flavors. So, I think I need a dual pressure primary regulator, correct? Or should I go with secondary regulators?

I am also confused about gas lines and beer lines. How thick should the tubing be and how long? It looks like people prefer the MFL over the barb connections. Is that correct?

Then I guess I need some kind of thermometer control unit. Is there a recommended unit?

And perlick seems to be the recommended faucet. Any particular unit and why?

Anything I am missing? Thanks for any help!

I just started and bought a 2 keg kit from BeverageFactory.com, it came with everything I needed to get started. I think as far a beer lines and sizes is trial and error but I really cannot comment on that since I bought it as a kit and have no complaints.

jfinke said:
I have been brewing on and off for many years. The reason I tend to stop is that I hate bottling. ;)

So, I want to start to build out a keg system. I am trying to figure out what I need.

I plan on building a keezer using the GE 7.0cft chest freezer. That should get me four ball lock kegs. I plan on starting with two kegs.

I am also thinking about doing some carbonated water, just to mix with some flavors. So, I think I need a dual pressure primary regulator, correct? Or should I go with secondary regulators?

Go with the dual pressure reg now. Save your money and buy right and buy once.

I am also confused about gas lines and beer lines. How thick should the tubing be and how long? It looks like people prefer the MFL over the barb connections. Is that correct?

Go with Mfl. Lines should be at least 10' for the liquid lines. Maybe longer, depends on serving psi and temp.

Then I guess I need some kind of thermometer control unit. Is there a recommended unit?

Ranco, Johnson are both popular. I prefer a digital and one that is prewired so I don't have to splice the line just in case I have to get it warrantied

And perlick seems to be the recommended faucet. Any particular unit and why?

Perlicks are forward sealing and don't stick. Less hassle.

Anything I am missing? Thanks for any help!

Hey jfinke,

For the tubing, 3/16" ID for beverage line, and 5/16" ID for gas is the standard. Now depending on how far you plan on running them (kegerator should have about 5-6' for both beer and gas for both kegs), those ID's and lengths might change.

The standard Perlick faucet is what I'd recommend. The flow controls are nice, but I don't find myself using them very often. You will want to have a two-body / three-gauge regulator, as you'll most likely want to have the water at a higher pressure than the beer. Could accomplish this with secondary regulators / CO2 tee, but I wouldn't recommend it. Personal preference there though.

If you have more questions just let us know!

Gas line lengths don't matter. They can be 5 inches or 20 feet, 3/16" ID or 2" ID, and it won't change a thing. Use a diameter that mates with easily obtained fittings, and make them a length that is convenient to manage.

As for beer line lengths: anyone who says everyone will be happy with 5 foot 3/16" ID lines clearly has no hands-on experience with kegging in a home environment and is simply parroting age-old "Conventional Wisdom" - which is based on a faulty premise that 3/16" beer lines universally have a resistance of 2.7 psi/foot, regardless of temperature and pressure. That's a myth that has caused a lot of angst in the home kegging community.

If using non-exotic 3/16" ID beer lines, 10 foot lines are the minimum, imo, and if using stuff like Bev Seal Ultra Series 235 lines, plan on doubling that...

Cheers!

I would run secondary regulators myself. Hanging a brass lever (aka dual regulator) off the valve of a CO2 tank and then swinging 50 lbs (aka a corny) over it makes me uncomfortable.

As far as line size, for the gas lines, you want it to have a higher rating than the highest pressure you will use. That's all that matters for gas line. There's no reason not to use the same size as your beer line to save what you have in inventory.

Have you seen john guest fittings? They look very interesting.

Have you read the e-bay aquarium controller discussion? I just hooked one up to an old party keg fridge. It's so easy a caveman can do it ... well, maybe not but they're pretty easy.

Well, I ended up buying a four tap kit from Keg Connection. Once I figured out the price difference between piecemealing it together vs. the kit cost, it was a no brainer.

The only thing I "settled" for was getting a two body primary with a manifold vs. a one body primary with a four body secondary.

I upgraded to the Perlick 525SS faucets and got 40' of beer line. In addition, I got four used kegs.

I figured I might as well get everything now vs. trying to match parts up later.

Now, I need to get a freezer and build a shell around it and get a CO2 tank.

Oh, and I got an external Johnson a419 temp controller.

Thanks again for all of the advice!

Back