Getting Over Bad Habits

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

OdinOneEye

Reaction score
Hi,
I started brewing my own meads and ciders in my dorm a couple years ago (for obvious reasons) and picked up a number of bad habits with my home brewing. I've since moved out and passed the age where I'd get kicked out of school for procuring my own poison and while I'm pretty happy with the stuff I've made so far, I would like to improve my processes.
Anyho, I've had about five gallons of hard cider going since 12/15 and I racked after the primary ferment finished out a week after that. What's your advice as far as a good racking regimene (spelling) would be, racking philosophy or whatever?

I suspect the the worst habit you have at this point is drinking the product too soon. :p Just a guess from my college days.

I use the same milestone for ciders and meads as for ales, less than two bubbles a minute in the primary. For ales this is generally a week, ciders a month, meads 6-12 months.

Back