Getting Max Efficiency

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Indy418

Reaction score
OK--I'm just starting Partial Grain brewing and want to get my max efficiency. When I'm draining the grains after mashing, or after sparging, it only drains so long. Is it necessary or suggested to squeeze my grain bag to get as much water that's hiding between those grains out into my tun? Or is that a no-no?

do not squeeze the grains, that will release tannins which are bitter and undesirable, however I let the grains drain as long as possible.

So if---hypothetically-- I did squeeze the bag to get the excess water out, should I scrap the batch?

You know--hypothetically....:cross:

I would never scrap a batch of beer. Even if it's a little 'off' it's still better than non homebrew. But thats just me.

So if---hypothetically-- I did squeeze the bag to get the excess water out, should I scrap the batch?

You know--hypothetically....:cross:

No. It might be a little more bitter than you'd like, but maybe not. It's certainly not anywhere near a batch-ruining mistake.

Back