Getting keg system in 3 weeks, beer done now...

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

NSbeer

Reaction score
As the title says, beer is done, it's been 3 week... I was going to bottle it but my back **** the bed on me and I can't cap bottles for a few days.... HOWEVER my kegging system will be complete in 3 weeks. Can I let my beer sit in the carboy for 3 more weeks without issue? Or should I get my lady on the capper and hope for the best?
Cheers

You can fill the keg and add priming sugar to naturally carbonate the keg the same way you would a bottle. I have never done it, but I have read to use less priming sugar. My cornys take 15 psi to get a proper seal though, so that would be a concern. If you have any friends with kegerators, they would probably lend you a bottle to at least pressurize your keg.

Also, unless it is a NEIPA, you are probably okay to let it sit in the carboy without any major ill effects. May not be ideal, but could be worse.

You can fill the keg and add priming sugar to naturally carbonate the keg the same way you would a bottle. I have never done it, but I have read to use less priming sugar. My cornys take 15 psi to get a proper seal though, so that would be a concern. If you have any friends with kegerators, they would probably lend you a bottle to at least pressurize your keg.

Also, unless it is a NEIPA, you are probably okay to let it sit in the carboy without any major ill effects. May not be ideal, but could be worse.
I will check it out, they are the sanke style D kegs.

I will check it out, they are the sanke style D kegs.

If you can fill them up (minimize head space), I would prime with 125 grams of sugar and call it good. Store at room temp, the yeast will consume much of the O2 left in there, and they will be ready when you get your keg system. Carbonation might be high or low, but the nice thing about kegs is that is easy to fine tune once you tap it. If you can borrow a CO2 tank to purge with, that is even better.

Back