Getting itchy to bottle my first batch

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dmako

Reaction score
I started with a belgian dubbel who's notes stated ready 2 months.

In the primary bubbling stopped like in 5 days. The OG was around .065 and in a week I kept checking the gravity until it was steady at around 0.010. After 12 days I racked to my secondary.

It's now been in the secondary for 2 weeks.

If I bottle now and leave for 3 weeks that'll be just under 7 weeks. So what is the 'ready in 2 months (8 weeks)' refering to I wonder?

And does it seem right to bottle now?

dmako said:
If I bottle now and leave for 3 weeks that'll be just under 7 weeks. So what is the 'ready in 2 months (8 weeks)' refering to I wonder?

Well, you can either drink it in about 3 weeks and have good beer (most likely), or you can wait a full 2 months in bottles and have GREAT beer. I personally recommend the 2 months. Try and find some beers that you've never tasted before and start another batch as soon as the Dubbel is bottled.

dmako said:
And does it seem right to bottle now?

Yes. Now would be great timing, since theres still enough yeast left in the beer to ferment the priming sugar to get good carbonation, but not too much that fermentation restarts completely.

I'd agree with mrfocus on this one. Leave it alone for 2 or more months after you bottle it and it will be far better beer (assuming your sanitation is up to snuff). One of the hardest techniques to master in homebrewing is patience. The bigger the beer the better it will be given time.

Gt

Got Trub? said:
I'd agree with mrfocus on this one. Leave it alone for 2 or more months after you bottle it and it will be far better beer (assuming your sanitation is up to snuff). One of the hardest techniques to master in homebrewing is patience. The bigger the beer the better it will be given time.

Gt

perfect as I have a wiess that will be ready to go into my secondary after I bottle the dubbel. My idea is the wiess will be ready sooner.

Back