Getting back into Brewing question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Nimand

Reaction score
Hey guys im getting back into brewing and im about to brew a nut brown ale. I recently just moved into a new house and its draftier than my previous place. It seems that the room I want to ferment in gets maybe 65 at peak and 62 at night. I will be using a wyeast british strain suggesting 64-75. Do these ambient temps seem ok? Should I wrap a blanket around the bucket?

Thanks

Welcome back to brewing. :)
You should be fine: The yeast temps are listed for the temperature of the beer, which is always a few degrees higher than ambient while fermentation is going on (fermentation being an exothermic process, it generates its own heat).
If you're worried you can keep the fermenter in a warmer room for the first 24 hours to let fermentation start, and then move it, but if you're pitching proper amount of healthy yeast I doubt if that would be necessary.

Thanks for the reply. I might do a light blanket around it just in case I can't really leave it out anywhere else. I'm afraid my cat will get excited about the airlock and mess with it lol!

yeah, the do that. (I have three cats of my own). I've found that a tall Tupperware container placed upside-down over the airlock helps. Put some weight on it (I have a 4lb diving weight) so that they can't knock it off the bucket, and they can sit and look at it all day long without being able to touch it. Eventually they loose interest, in any case.

Back