getting a kit for christmas .. need some advice

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
My advice is to use the ingredients in the kit, before making any big changes or alterations. Some hints:

Can you ferment the beer in an area with the temperature in the mid 60s?

Don't hurry your fermentation - the instructions probably say something like bottling after 10 days, but you can leave your beer in the fermenter for weeks and the beer will benefit from that time. I usually wait at least 3 weeks after brewing before bottling.

Good luck!

I have heard 2-2-2. 2 weeks in barrel. 2 weeks in bottles, and 2 weeks in refrigerator. I plan on this. I just started also. So take my advice for what it is worth. Good luck.

First batch is exciting. Good luck. I would +1 on sanitation. Make sure to clean the bottles well, and also make sure the wort is cool enough when you pitch the yeast. My first batch i got impatient.

thank you for all the advice .. this time of the year I should be able to ferment in the mid 60s and I have been reading a lot about sanitizing and patience being key for new brewers ... this site is awesome !!!

When you get your kit and something in the instructions either doesn't look or sound right, post up and you'll get the help you need pretty quickly. And yes, even if it's Christmas Day.

(Note to self, you spend way to much time on HBT).

No matter how curious you are don't mess with it. Don't open up the fermentor to check it out, don't take gravity readings every week. The more you monkey with it the higher your chances are of contaminating it.
Step away from the fermentor!
Either your sanitation was good, or it wasn't so if there's something that worries you, post a picture, ask questions, and let these guys put you at ease.
Cool the wort, take a gravity reading, pitch the yeast, and put it away for at least 3 weeks.

I would also suggest 3 weeks fermenting (more if the expected ABV is over 7%) and then 3 weeks in the bottle. Having started just 9 months ago myself I know how anxious one gets when waiting for the first batch, but trust me its worth waiting the six weeks.

What I always do is once the total ferment time + 3 weeks in the bottles is up - I put a sixpack of the brew in the fridge - wait for it to cool down and then try it. If it stills tastes green, then you wait longer. I've had quite a few of my batches taste good at 3 weeks (in the bottle), great at 6 weeks, and awesome at 3 months. I guess what I'm getting at is in regards to aging for any amount of time in the fridge - I don't know to what extent beers (at least ales, lagers are porbably different in this respect) will age and get better being refrigerated.

Plus once you get one done and bottled and if you actually enjoy the hobby you can plan out more batches (possibly buy more fermenters) so that you always have one to drink while waiting for the others. Sometimes this works the other way (As I now have 8 cases of homebrew in my basement - soon to be 10 after tonight).

Definitely take the time to clean (don't use the abrasive sides of any sponges on plastic though) and sanitize thoroughly - nothing is overkill in this respect.

I will second or third the 3 week ferment time. I know it will be hard, but trust us, your beer will be better for it. After you get the first batch in the bucket, step back, smile and buy another ingredient kit and another fermenter. Thank me later!

Back