Getting a full corny keg from SoCal to San Fran

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DrinkNoH2O

Reaction score
Hi All,
Here's the deal: I'm hitting up some Phish shows in San Francisco this August and need to get a pressurized 5 gallon corny keg of my homebrew up there to my buddy's place.

We're definitely flying Southwest (bags fly free!) so I basically have two options:

1. try and check a full corny keg onto the flight. Would they accept it? How would I best protect it? The baggage compartment is pressurized so that shouldn't be an issue.

2. Ship it via UPS ground or FedEx ground. Would have to protect it well. Probably easiest/safest method.

Please let me know your thoughts. I don't care about the legality or cost aspects of the situation at all, technical feedback only please.

I've read a few threads on HBT but none were overly useful.

My initial thoughts are that I'd need to pack the keg in the same manner either way, likely with lots of bubble wrap in a large cardboard box paying special attention to the posts and release valve.

The more I think of it, UPS ground is prob the easiest way to go...

Have you heard of Task Rabbit?

http://www.taskrabbit.com/

I wonder if one of the taskrabbits might happen to be driving from SoCal to SF for another reason around that time, and might be willing to drive your keg up the coast for a fee. People in my neighborhood frequently participate in Task Rabbit jobs; the rabbits tend to be trustworthy sorts.

Train and taskrabbit are doubtful.

If I went UPS I guess I'd just have to focus on how to pack it. Would need to wrap the posts in such a way that nothing could depress the poppit...

if your truly going to ship could you unscrew the posts and then screw on some sort of cap, to remove the possibility of the poppets being pressed in?

I find it strange your flying with Southwest because the luggage flies free, but cost is not important when it comes to shipping your beer.

Best bet would be to drive. That isnt that long a drive a corny would make it that way.

I find it strange your flying with Southwest because the luggage flies free, but cost is not important when it comes to shipping your beer.

Yeah, this part confuses me, too. Especially when you have the opportunity to stop at the many excellent breweries between San Diego and San Francisco when you drive, and you are only able to look out the window wistfully if you fly over them.

I think the keg will leak. I have had kegs leak just taking them up the stairs. Pressurizing them will help with the leaking a lot, but no guarantees. If it does leak, UPS will open it to see what is what and you can bet your beer will be gone. I suggest you call Southwest and see if you can bring it on the plane with you and have them put it in one of the jacket closets on the floor upright.

Problem will be getting it through security since they cannot see inside the keg - so call the airport if SW agrees and see if they will allow it through the gate. Southwest also might put it in the baggage compartment and if told what it is and how to handle it, they might be extra careful with it.

I'm flying Southwest because it has the best flight times and is direct from my airport to SFO. They happen to have free bags which could come in handy if I were to check the keg. Troll much?

P.S. - you're = you are, your denotes possession.

Yeah, this part confuses me, too. Especially when you have the opportunity to stop at the many excellent breweries between San Diego and San Francisco when you drive, and you are only able to look out the window wistfully if you fly over them.

I'm north of San Diego already and have already been to pretty much all of the breweries in between me and SF (FW, RR, Lagunitas, Bear Rep, etc.) It's a matter of time.

DrinkNoH2O said:
I'm flying Southwest because it has the best flight times and is direct from my airport to SFO. They happen to have free bags which could come in handy if I were to check the keg. Troll much?

P.S. - you're = you are, your denotes possession.

A full corny is likely to be over the weight limit for a free bag. And I doubt they would let you check it. Give them a call and see though.

I'm north of San Diego already and have already been to pretty much all of the breweries in between me and SF (FW, RR, Lagunitas, Bear Rep, etc.) It's a matter of time.

And yet you didn't mention a single brewery in Los Angeles...

:)

There are also a number of breweries in the Ventura/SLO area nowadays that produce some fine beer.

see if you can find some other phans driving up - i'm sure there will be plenty. i believe there is a rideshare group or website for phish fans.

option #2 find someone to give you a ride up and then just fly home - don't blame you for not wanting to drive back after a 3day run

see if you can find some other phans driving up - i'm sure there will be plenty. i believe there is a rideshare group or website for phish fans.

option #2 find someone to give you a ride up and then just fly home - don't blame you for not wanting to drive back after a 3day run

Actually just worked that out today! Found another phanner driving up and he's going to haul the keg in exchange all he can drink :tank:

Still, I really want to ship a keg UPS ground at some point to see if it's doable...

Back