Getting a dog

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

AKchill

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
So, I got permission from the Lord of my Land to own a dog. I'm hoping, if I can realistically do it, getting one at the beginning of summer. Up here, that is June. The only stipulation was that I kennel train it, which I was planning to do anyways. I'm looking for three things in a dog.

1.Child-loving. I have a four year old daughter, and I can't have some obnoxious breed like a Dalmation or a Pit. Don't get me wrong, Pit Bulls are amazing dogs, but I'm a little leery of raising one when we had so many attacks in Alaska by the Pits up here. Besides, I need a working dog.

2.Bird retrieving. I hunt birds. I'm not looking for a pointer. I need a retriever, but a mid-sized one. This leads right into...

3.Mid-size. I don't quite have the flexibility to take a lab or golden to work. I'm looking for a low-maintenance dog that loves kids and can bring ducks back to me.

I work a 8-5 job, and am willing to be very active with my dog, but don't think I can handle a huge dog. I had labs when I grew up, but I also know the time that had to be spent with them to make them good. If anyone has any suggestions, it would be greatly appreciated.

So, I got permission from the Lord of my Land to own a dog. I'm hoping, if I can realistically do it, getting one at the beginning of summer. Up here, that is June. The only stipulation was that I kennel train it, which I was planning to do anyways. I'm looking for three things in a dog.

1.Child-loving. I have a four year old daughter, and I can't have some obnoxious breed like a Dalmation or a Pit. Don't get me wrong, Pit Bulls are amazing dogs, but I'm a little leery of raising one when we had so many attacks in Alaska by the Pits up here. Besides, I need a working dog.

2.Bird retrieving. I hunt birds. I'm not looking for a pointer. I need a retriever, but a mid-sized one. This leads right into...

3.Mid-size. I don't quite have the flexibility to take a lab or golden to work. I'm looking for a low-maintenance dog that loves kids and can bring ducks back to me.

I work a 8-5 job, and am willing to be very active with my dog, but don't think I can handle a huge dog. I had labs when I grew up, but I also know the time that had to be spent with them to make them good. If anyone has any suggestions, it would be greatly appreciated.

Show me more than 2 articles of Pitt attacks up here. *within 2-5 years of each other*
Want to come over and meet my Pitt? Seriously. If you are in Anchorage stop by.

2-3 are points you want a "RETRIEVER". So I dont know what you are asking.

Either go to the pound or spend 500$ on a dog.

As for companions- I own 3 different dogs. Husky/Lab, Full APBT, Rottie/Sled dog. And the Pitt at full size is smaller than the other 2

Show me more than 2 articles of Pitt attacks up here. *within 2-5 years of each other*
Want to come over and meet my Pitt? Seriously. If you are in Anchorage stop by.

2-3 are points you want a "RETRIEVER". So I dont know what you are asking.

Either go to the pound or spend 500$ on a dog.

As for companions- I own 3 different dogs. Husky/Lab, Full APBT, Rottie/Sled dog. And the Pitt at full size is smaller than the other 2

yeah but have you ever seen a pit swim for ducks?

since your going to kennel train the dog i wouldn't reccomend a lab, i've had two now and they perform better in the house.

I've seen your videos, and I would take my kid over anytime. They're just not for me. Maybe I shouldn't have bashed them, it wasn't my intention. I just know there are some Vick-like people up here, as there are anywhere, and that a pit wouldn't be good for me unless I knew where it came from.

I've seen your videos, and I would take my kid over anytime. They're just not for me. Maybe I shouldn't have bashed them, it wasn't my intention. I just know there are some Vick-like people up here, as there are anywhere, and that a pit wouldn't be good for me unless I knew where it came from.

Thats cool- I get defensive as I think Pitts are by far the most family oriented dog I have ever seen.

Vick also had more dogs like Borebls and Dogo Argentos. Most of his really werent Pitts but what authorities call Pitt like dogs

I house sit for a lady who has kennel-trained all her German Shepherds. I've known her for years. Her dogs go straight into the kennel... but probably a little large for what you're looking for... :cross: SWMBO and I were looking at dogs this past year and were in agreement that we wanted a medium-sized dog, but disagreed wildly about what "medium-sized" was. To me, "Medium" is a small female german shepherd. "Small" is a husky. So I guess my size descriptions are a bit skewed...

How determined are you to make your dog into a retriever? Does he HAVE to retrieve? Or would it be nice? I'm wondering about some sort of mutt with the right personality traits... Lab/Collie mix? Golden/hound? It'd get you the size you want, a good shot at some of the traits... and save one from the pound...

Well, this dog has to be a retriever. I'm determined enough that if I can't find a "medium" sized dog, I'll just get a Lab. It would be tough, but I think I can take care of a dog of that size.

I have a Lab/Beagle and he is on the smaller end of mid size spectrum(to me anyways). Maybe that would be a good fit for you.

I dont know if a ridgeback will retrive for ya, but i know they are great family dogs, one of the best out there. I wish i had the land to support one, i so miss my dog, but my Dad loves him so its all good, i think both of them are better off at his place. so its all good.

The springer spaniels are great dogs. I have had both a lab (on the smaller side around 50 lbs) and a springer spaniel and both were family friendly and excellent retrievers. I think the labs are better retirevers where the spaniels are better pointer (springers), but I really don't think you can go wrong with either one. Depending on how much money you have, a Brittany spaniel is probably the best all around choice. Great with kids, great for hunting warm and cold weather, and more on the medium side.

So as I was typing my response here earlier my dogs were outside. After 15 minutes I went to check on them and they were gone!. I have a fenced in yard. I go out and start looking around ttrying to find them. My Lab/Beagle comes running up to me covered in dog crap :(
I took him back to the house then went back out and found my Pug/Beagle shortly after.

Then I got to go back home and give them both baths all before work today, oh and fix the fence where they decided they needed a doggy door. Nice start to a morning.

The other thing you have to consider is that you need a dog that can tolerate the cold up in Alaska. I have a great working dog, a Catahoula Leopard Dog, which is about the size you would want, very smart, and a hard worker. Only problem is they are a hot weather dog with just a single coat, so no big winter for my guy.

On that note, you can train Australian shepherds to do pretty much anything, so if you see a shepherd/lab cross (common in the northeast) get one of those.

I grew up with Engilsh Setters. They are nice medium sized dogs (especially the field variety) that absolutely adore kids and are excellent retrievers even though their first job is usually to find the bird. I currently have an Irish Setter. She loves kids but has no desire to hunt.

I would have to say almost any of the sporting breeds will probably make an awesome family dog because the thing they love most is to be with their people.

As for the cold in Alaska; you'll have to deal with the extra heavy constant shedding but sporting breeds should adapt.

Good luck with your search.

Our lab is small. Her mom is built the same way. A bit thicker around and smaller overall. She will fetch like crazy all day long, and goes INSANE when we take her to the water.

We also have an Aus sheperd mix (mom looked like full boxer) and he is NOT interested in fetching. He loves to play though. I have tried bribing him with treats to fetch, but it's not working so far.

That Lab though, is just naturally inclined to fetch. I'd really recommend putting up with a larger, good-natured dog that fetches, to a smaller one that takes more training.

Sounds to me like a Brittany would be good for you. Great gun dog. More of a pointer than a retriever, but most any gun dog will retrieve. Best gun dog I ever had was a Labradringer ( Lab Springer Spaniel mix ), that dog was a natural hunter - pointed and retrieved pretty much by instinct - I never trainded him beyond sit, stay, and come - he just knew what to do and loved doing it. Anyway, the reason I would say a Brittany is just because they are super good with kids and not really high maintenance and they're enthusiastic hunters, plus I've kind of got Brittanys on the brain lately because I'm also looking for a good gun dog and a Brittany is what I'm going to get unless I can find a Labradinger or a Brittany/Lab mix.

I'd recommend a Viszla. Very friendly, great with kids, are naturally bird dogs and generally don't get too big.

+1 on a lab/springer mix! They are fairly common. That is what my buddy has, she is trained as a bird dog and we go fowl hunting with her a couple times a year. She is amazing!

How about a Nova Scotia Duck Toller. Has the characteristics of a lab but in a smaller package.

Get a mutt. My black lab/border collie mix is the best dog ever.

+1 on the mutt

My Labradinger was a mutt. Actually the vet told me he was a labradinger ( Lab Springer Spaniel hybrid ) but I saw his mother, his father might have had some Lab and Springer Spaniel in him but his mother looked like a Blue Tick.

That dog was the best dog I ever had, I had to give him away a few years ago because we moved to the city for a while and he was used to roaming and I was afraid he would get run over or hurt so I got one of my old neighbors out in the country where we used to live to adopt him. I still drive by and visit him sometimes. I love that dog like a son.

My neighbor swears that he saved her from someone breaking into their house too.

Mutts are the best. I've always wanted to get a few purebred huskies someday, but every time I'm in the market for a pet, I always stop by the shelter first. After that, it's pretty much impossible to leave empty handed.

+1 on a lab/springer mix! They are fairly common. That is what my buddy has, she is trained as a bird dog and we go fowl hunting with her a couple times a year. She is amazing!

Yes, those are such great dogs. My favorite dog definitely.

( This one is not mine, he just looks like mine did when he was younger )

LabradingerGereonsWister2.JPG

How bout a Weimaraner. They are bird dogs and our jack is the sweetest dog ever. We heard they require constant attention, but he is kennel trained (sleep in the kennel in the garage) and lives outside with our mutt and does just fine. They used to both be insdei before my son came along and he was a great inside dog and kennel / house training was no problem at all.

My first dog was a mutt. Some weirdo Alaska village husky-lab thing. It was an amazingly smart dog. I also had a pair of labs when I was in high school. One of them was a great field dog, the other was my mom's spoiled brat dog. That Toller looks pretty cool, I've never heard of them before. The Vizla looks like the perfect dog too. Keep 'em coming.

Maybe a spaniel is what you're looking for. They retrieve, they're a med. sized dog, if they're raised from a pup around kids & aren't abused, they should make a good family pet. There are several types of spaniels, it all depends on what you want, what you like & what you can afford. Good luck to you. Regards, GF.

SWMBO who is the expert says Brittany Spaniel or a Springer Spaniel. Both are excellent breeds. Or if you are looking for a shelter dog, look for a mostly Spaniel mix for the characteristics you are after.

Crate training is a great idea. Also be sure to start right away with daily walks. We walk our dog 1-1.5 miles a day and she is 9. Really helps with behavior, the daily walks remind the dog that YOU are the pack leader and also burn off all that excess energy.

Latest posts

Back