Get wine taste out of fermenter

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dvizard

Reaction score
Hi,

I got an old plastic fermenter from a friend, she used to make wine in it. It is clean and everything but there is that slight scent of wine in it, (probably from some of the heavier compounds in wine that sorb to the plastic?)

What is the best way to get this scent out? If I use detergent I'll have the problem of getting the detergent scent out afterwards :p

Just based on the fact that it is used, I would give it a good soak in oxyclean/pbw. That said, I haven't experienced aromas left in the bucket affecting the next batch; I have gone back and forth between beer, cider, mead and wine. Even going from malbec to a lager and Belgian dark strong to moscato have been fine. If the smell persists after cleaning, I wouldn't worry about it.

Agree, all of my buckets get a 24 hour soak of Oxy-Clean Free. I use the same buckets for wine and beer. Never had a problem with beer picking up wine accents. Heavily hopped beers create more problems. My Surly Furious clone stained the bucket green with all of the hops. Took a few weeks for the smell to subside in room air.

If the Oxy doesn't take it out, you can add a tablespoon of bleach per gallon of cool water. Let stand for 30-40 minutes. This will also kill just about all bacteria/wild yeast. Just make sure to rinse with plenty of hot water afterwards.

Brew a belgian or stout in it first. Wine flavors and smells go well with those styles.

Back