German Oktoberfest

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Wilbergrowsalot

Reaction score
I usually Brew Ales and usually have strong fermentations, I was wondering does the fermentation appearance differ with the Lagers? My vessel is in a freezer with a temp being held at 56 degrees. I'm not seeing any blow off or bubble action. Is this because of the lower temps? And, How do the Lagers differ from the Ales when it comes the fermentation? Ive read that Lagers are usually ferment at colder temps and in a different area in the vessel than the Ales, Is this true?

Lager yeast are bottom fermenting. As a general rule, lager fermentations are no where as violent as ale fermentations when done at the proper temperature. I guess the lower temperatures retard the activity of the yeast. When doing a lager plan on the fermentation to take 2 to 3 times longer than with an ale. I usually let mine go for 10 to 14 days before I do a D-rest and then go through the 'lager' process.

Most lagers I ferment in the low 50s for the first 7-10 days. If your going to do a d-rest, wait til your about 75% to the FG. Then raise the temp 10 degrees for 3 more days. Some don't even bother with the d-rest. It can't hurt so I've always done one.

Yooper and some others have some great advice in this thread that helped me with getting my lagers perfect.

https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f163/e...ering-adventure-please-help-round-2-a-190053/

Back