German IPA

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hello,

I am fairly new to building recipe and for the most part, just throwing stuff together. With that being said I’d like any suggestions for this mostly German IPA I am thinking about making. I haven’t used most of these hops before so I’m interested to hear your thoughts.

EDIT: I am thinking a malty hazy IPA with citrus flavor, hopefully a bit of white wine hints from the hallertau blanc (again, not familiar). The paw paw would just be a fun additive to increase the fruitiness, if I can even get my hands on any.

Thanks,
Josh

Attachments

• German IPA Draft.pdf
    111.8 KB · Views: 0
Last edited:
I'm with monkeymath, it seems like a bit of a dartboard recipe. Don't underestimate the power of the KISS method. Keep it simple and learn your ingredients, I can't emphasize that enough. I'm totally speaking from experience on that one.
Try either Pilsner or 2 row as your main base and using a little of either Vienna or Munich to add a little extra flavor. Wheat will contribute to mouthfeel and drinkability as well as a bready flavor, and be prepared for a solid haze with it.

Thanks that’s why I posted it. I was looking for what I should expect in adding these.
I think I’ll ditch the 2-Row and the Vienna and keep the remaining malts as I’d like it to emphasize German ingredients to make a non-German beer.

Hello,

I am fairly new to building recipe and for the most part, just throwing stuff together. With that being said I’d like any suggestions for this mostly German IPA I am thinking about making. I haven’t used most of these hops before so I’m interested to hear your thoughts.

EDIT: I am thinking a malty hazy IPA with citrus flavor, hopefully a bit of white wine hints from the hallertau blanc (again, not familiar). The paw paw would just be a fun additive to increase the fruitiness, if I can even get my hands on any.

Thanks,
Josh

It's been over 10 yrs since I've been to Germany, but I used to go a lot. Don't remember anything close to a hazy citrussy German IPA. I imagine things have changed, but so much?

Anyway, I'm not a big fan of hazy IPAs, but if you want lots of citrus just use Citra hops and bomb the boil kettle in the last 5 minutes of the boil Throw as much as you want in there. You'll get your desire. Centennial and Cascade would be ok too.

Thanks that’s why I posted it. I was looking for what I should expect in adding these.
I think I’ll ditch the 2-Row and the Vienna and keep the remaining malts as I’d like it to emphasize German ingredients to make a non-German beer.
With that adjustment, I'd say that you've got yourself a pretty good start. It would be interesting to see how that turns out. However, remember that IPAs evolved without those varieties for a reason, but that's driven by a customer base. That's also not to say that what you have there won't be awesome. Post your results!!
It's been over 10 yrs since I've been to Germany, but I used to go a lot. Don't remember anything close to a hazy citrussy German IPA. I imagine things have changed, but so much?

Anyway, I'm not a big fan of hazy IPAs, but if you want lots of citrus just use Citra hops and bomb the boil kettle in the last 5 minutes of the boil Throw as much as you want in there. You'll get your desire. Centennial and Cascade would be ok too.
I belive he's shooting for an IPA with german ingredients, particularly the hop varieties, and not so much a style from Germany. I've thought about this concept a bit myself.

I’d like it to emphasize German ingredients to make a non-German beer.

In that case I'd throw in that Bohemia is not a part of Germany. That Weyermann Bohemian malt is made from Bohemian barley.

Also: paw paw fruit? First time I've heard of it, pretty sure it's not all that German. (Besides, IPAs usually don't contain any fruit.)

3% wheat is going to be impossible to detect in any way imho, so I'd throw that out as well.

I recently brewed an "almost" SMaSH. 100% Vienna Malt, Magnum hops for bittering and Mandarin Bavaria hops for flameout and dry hop. I call it a Bavarian Pale Ale. It is quite tasty with a soft bitterness. I've used 100% Munich for some very tasty beers as well. I agree with other posters, simplify the malts. I like your hop schedule.

Urban Chestnut brewery in St Louis has a beer called “Hallertau Haze” that I’ve had a few times and enjoyed a lot. As I can tell it’s a standard hazy IPA that leans on Hallertau Blanc. It tastes like a hazy IPA but… German?… with some of that white grape flavor you talked about. Here’s a link to their page, they’re pretty forthcoming about recipes (listing all hops, malts, yeast, ABV and IBu).

Hallertau Haze by Urban Chestnut Brewing Company

Not sure if that’s similar to what you’re going for but it’s proof that a German IPA can be delicious! Good luck :)

I'd do :
  • Pilsner/Munich/Dark Wheat split 77-20-3%
  • Drop the Paw-Paw fruit
  • Replace the Tettnang with a slightly higher IBU of Magnum
  • Move the Mandarina addition from 15m to 5m and drop to 1 oz to compensate for the above
  • Contemplate another oz each of your flavour hops in a whirlpool.
Personally I really dislike 1007, every time I've used it it's been very sulphurous.

Back