German Ale 1007 temps

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

WestMichBrewer

Reaction score
Working with a resurrected yeast slurry and a starter...
I cooled my wort to ~60 degrees, pitched the yeast and set it in my basement closet that is at about 64 degrees.
The next night the fermentation was going hard...too hard I think as the fermometer was registering ~66 degrees which is nearing the top of 1007's range.
I quickly put the carboy in a swamp cooler and over the course of the the next couple days, the fermometer has dropped to ~62 degrees which is right in the middle of 1007's range.
With that in mind, I am surprised how drastically the fermentation has slowed down.

Opinion on whether I should let it warm back up a bit, or let it ride?

What you should do depends on how far along the fermentation is, which will require taking a gravity sample. I suspect that since it fermented for a few days at the higher end of the temperature range it is nearly complete. If you confirm that to be the case with a gravity reading, you would probably be better off letting it warm back up. Production of off-flavors due to high temperatures is more likely at the beginning rather than the end of fermentation, so you shouldn't have to worry about causing that by warming it now, and warming it up will help it attenuate a bit further.

What you should do depends on how far along the fermentation is, which will require taking a gravity sample. I suspect that since it fermented for a few days at the higher end of the temperature range it is nearly complete. If you confirm that to be the case with a gravity reading, you would probably be better off letting it warm back up. Production of off-flavors due to high temperatures is more likely at the beginning rather than the end of fermentation, so you shouldn't have to worry about causing that by warming it now, and warming it up will help it attenuate a bit further.

Makes sense...I can take a reading.
I think it was probably only running at the higher temp for at most 8 hours, but then it was only an 1.040 OG wort.
Thanks!

It's now at just a couple points above FG, so I took the carboy out of the water bath to let it get back up a few degrees.

Latest posts

Back