Geranium taint success!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

oxpajama

Reaction score
:D,

Recently made an offering to the porcelain god. Apple cider with a 96 oz can of Vintner's Harvest peaches, s-04 and burton ale yeast.

Where I erred: adding Lactic acid bacteria, and/or adding citric acid. Supposedly initiating an MLF will eat up some of the acetyl aldehyde, citric acid to some extent, and of course malic acid. Burton yeast creates a decent amount of green apple, I wanted to see how MLF would change that.

http://vinestovintages.ca/LaffortHelpfulHints/Citric Acid Metabolism.pdf

http://onlinelibrary.wiley.com/doi/10.1111/j.1574-6968.2000.tb09318.x/pdf

Everything was fine until I started MLF, Wyeast, but I did add 1/2 tsp of what I thought was citric acid I purchased from a natural foods store, so no guarantee of purity. Just a wild hair idea.

Gravity readings showed 1.002, MLF took off after three days, followed by a gagging geranium smell, I mean my stomach turns thinking about it. I forced myself to taste it before dumping...

My Question, what was the most likely source for LB to create geraniol?
My suspicions include:
1. either the Kirkland apple juice or the Vintner's peaches had potassium sorbate (were not labeled as such, not likely)
2. the 1/2 tsp acid I added was not citric but actually sorbic acid.

What a waste, I have a packet of Mangrove Jacks' cider yeast, when I get over my disenchantment I'll try another cider. sans bells and whistles.

cheers

geranium taint isn't actually geraniol, the name is confusing, it is some other chemical with a long name. Geraniol is actually a desirable flavor.

geranium taint isn't actually geraniol, the name is confusing, it is some other chemical with a long name. Geraniol is actually a desirable flavor.

Oh, I do see it listed as a compound in hops. I'll keep it simple next time.

Back