Geordie Lager, fermentation crisis

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Norwaybrewer

Reaction score
So, I am now primary fermenting a geordie lager. I have brewed four batches before that have turned out pretty good by my standards. I have read a lot about brewing and love the sport. Although still a giant newbie..

Now I have had my Geordie Lager fermenting at 12-13 degrees celsius (53 fahrenheit) for 5 days, because I read that it was supposed to ferment at lower temperatures like that. It was 24 hours in room temp (18 degrees) before that.

But what I didn`t know was that the yeast that followed with the kit was an ale yeast.

The manual told me to ferment at 18-22c i think, but i`ve also read about not necessarily having to trust those things that come with the kit.

It was bubbling away for 4 days, stopped 1 day, roused it back in the game and now it is bubbling every 5 seconds again.

And now, the question:

- Do i move the beer to room temperature immediately and pray, or is it possible to keep fermenting at this temperature, do a diacetyl rest, and bottle?

I can`t do a gravity reading in a couple of days because my hydrometer has somehow been shattered.

Its just a low end extract kit. Lager, though with ale yeast...

Sent from my HUAWEI P6-U06 using Home Brew mobile app

Oh, if it's an ale yeast, keep it at 65-70 F (18-21C) and it will be fine. Keep it at that temperature for 10 days or so, and it should finish fermenting.

Ok, but is that wise as temperature fluctuation id not recommended?? Can i just finish at low temp and do a dia rest?

I read about people who did this even with ale yeast.
Experiences anyone?

Sent from my HUAWEI P6-U06 using Home Brew mobile app

Back