General Oktoberfest question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

azazel1024

Reaction score
I just tried my first Oktoberfest batch over the weekend. I wanted to brew something up quick and sample before March is out to see if I should brew a larger batch and stash it away until Oktoberfest. Its my first Oktoberfest AND my first lager.

I used S-23 yeast for it, but I can't get down to exact ideal lagering temp ranges. I don't have temperature control gear, but dropping the thermostat a hair in my basement as the temperature on the concrete slab at 61F, just a little over ideal for S-23. Fingers crossed that it turns out well.

Anyway, I probably should have inquired pre-brewing, but should S-23 work okay for an Oktoberfest? What should I do about bottle conditioning? For this early batch, I know it'll be "too early" for sampling at the end of the month (2 weeks fermentation and 2 weeks bottle conditioning), but I really do want to brew a larger batch in March for aging and I need to still cold out so that my basement is close to the temp range for lager brewing (once mid-April hits, my basement isn't going to stay cold enough probably).

For the bigger batch (and the part of this one that I keep around), should I bottle condition it for a few weeks and then stash it in my mini-fridge (or at least as much of it as I can fit in there)? Or should lagering in bottle be fine until September/October? My basement will hit upper 70's in the summer time and then cool back off to lower 70's in Septmeber/October.

Or could I/Should I just leave it in my basement until maybe a month out, and then stash it in my fridge for several weeks before opening to cold condition it?

Thanks!

Back