General False Bottoms, Sparge, Vorlauf Questions

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JuniperHill

Reaction score
Hey Everyone,

Hope you all had a great Thanksgiving! I've been priming myself on all grain brewing since I've only done extracts to this point. I get the general process (I think), but had a few questions and wonder if anyone has tried/experimented with different techniques.

1) Are there two-system false bottoms with a differing mesh/screen sizes to catch large and small particles? Is this necessary? I'm thinking of a large false bottom just slightly above a smaller screen size to catch finer particles, keeping the grainbed settled nicely.

2) Has anyone tried applying back pressure to an all grain system to increase the flow rate? I know this might not be necessary on a small scale, but I wonder if it could work on larger scales. Increased pressure in the tank will force the water (and anything else) through the opening. As long as it's filtered, I don't see why this couldn't work.

3) Has anyone tried to vorlauf using a pump, back pressure, or some method other than pouring the tea back to the top? I've seen this done on larger scales using a reciprocating pump, basically pumping the bottom back through a port near the top of the grainbed, but wonder if there's something around on a homebrew scale.

4) Has anyone tried adding sparge water from the bottom of the tank through a different port? I'm thinking you close off the tank and pump water up through the grainbed at the bottom, which could keep any particles from getting pushed downwards. Would this change/help anything or is it totally unnecessary?

That's it! I know everyone has there preferred way to go through the brewing process and that there are a lot of different ways to brew all grain. It's cool to hear how everyone decided on the way they currently brew--I'm always wondering if there was a reason behind the decision.

:mug: All the best,

Adam

1) Are there two-system false bottoms with a differing mesh/screen sizes to catch large and small particles? Is this necessary? I'm thinking of a large false bottom just slightly above a smaller screen size to catch finer particles, keeping the grainbed settled nicely.

3) Has anyone tried to vorlauf using a pump, back pressure, or some method other than pouring the tea back to the top? I've seen this done on larger scales using a reciprocating pump, basically pumping the bottom back through a port near the top of the grainbed, but wonder if there's something around on a homebrew scale.

1. I use the false bottom that came standard with my pot. IT seems to work just fine. This set up here. http://www.midwestsupplies.com/megapot-1-2-all-grain-brewing-system.html

2. With that being said I also use the sparge arm to vorlauf using a pump during the entire mash. It recirculates everything which helps maintaining my heat and make a crystal clear wort. You can see this process in this video here. (Which he uses the exact same setup that I bought and linked above is used). [ame]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C4YQqIMeS14[/ame]

Awesome video! Thanks for sharing. It's great to see them using the same fly sparge setup for the vorlauf. Those quick connect valves seem like the perfect way to do something like that.

Also, thumbs up for not hearing about the iodine trick in all grain brewing until now. Great stuff.

Awesome video! Thanks for sharing. It's great to see them using the same fly sparge setup for the vorlauf. Those quick connect valves seem like the perfect way to do something like that.

Also, thumbs up for not hearing about the iodine trick in all grain brewing until now. Great stuff.

Yeah, I use this video as my process almost through and through I find it to be very efficient and a fun way to brew. You can find the SS connects for about 10-15 bucks a piece or plastic just as good versions for like 2 bucks a piece at your LHB store. The plastic is much more affordable if you do use the pump and all of that, you end up needing quite a few disconnects.

Back