Gelatin?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
no, really, there should be no reason to use gelatin, ever. and especially not when doing small test batches.

if it's not clearing, give it time or crash it in the fridge.

let me approach it a different way...

why do you plan on using gelatin in your 1 gallon batch?

How long has it been in the fermenter? Let it sit for a month or so, then bottle. It should clear up fine on its own. BTW, Nyack is a pretty cool town. I've got some friends over that way. Great breakfast cafe in the center of town.

It worked so well before I figured why not? But I did put it in the fridge last night to crash it. It's been in the fermenter 3 weeks as of the 19th when I have to bottle it before vacation. It was my first all grain batch and I have alot of junk in it so I was looking for a 5 day fix.
Also my girl and I LOVE "strawberry place" for breakfast.

well, while i stand firmly behind the "gelatin is unnecessary" statement from before. if you used x grams of gelatin for 5 gallons, use x/5 grams for 1 gallon.

i would strongly recommend that you work on the aspects of your all-grain technique to eliminate the "junk", as that's really going to be the key for "better" brewing for you. clear is good but isn't really a good indicator of quality beer.

I "understand" what your saying. To clarify my ag brewing is limited to my apt stovetop I really don't have the apace for anything more than partial boil extract brewing which I love and have gotten great results from. I got a 1 gal kit from William Sonoma as a gift and tried it out. Yes my sparring technique was horrible, live and learn I guess however, now I have a very cloudy beer I need to bottle on tues. FG is stable so I know the only reason for letting it sit longer is to "clean up" , I just don't have that kind of time.

I "understand" what your saying. To clarify my ag brewing is limited to my apt stovetop I really don't have the apace for anything more than partial boil extract brewing which I love and have gotten great results from. I got a 1 gal kit from William Sonoma as a gift and tried it out. Yes my sparring technique was horrible, live and learn I guess however, now I have a very cloudy beer I need to bottle on tues. FG is stable so I know the only reason for letting it sit longer is to "clean up" , I just don't have that kind of time.

it'll settle out in the bottles if you're in a hurry. unless the cloudiness is protein haze, then it's there to stay.

I just don't have that kind of time.

How much time do you have? How long has it been in the fermenter? What temp did you ferment at? What was the recipe? Did it include anything wheat based? Which yeast did you use because flocculation characteristics can have a significant bearing on the clearing.

i'm sure that, any minute now, the gelatin afficianados are going to come out.

As stated above I have until the 19th that will be 3 weeks in the fermenter. Also it was a 1 gal kit with no grain bill. It came with Muntons yeast, it went crazy for about 36 hrs. And then slowed way down. It's an ipa so I don't know if it had wheat.

As stated above I have until the 19th that will be 3 weeks in the fermenter. Also it was a 1 gal kit with no grain bill. It came with Muntons yeast, it went crazy for about 36 hrs. And then slowed way down. It's an ipa so I don't know if it had wheat.

probably no wheat.

1gal is harder to make than 5, it's susceptible to imperfections from even minor things... if you bumped the jar or squeezed the grain or got hulls/endosperm in your fermenter... pretty much anything can cause some hazing.

my recommendation is - carb it up and drink it. the gelatin won't make it taste better and unless there is a large amount of actual yeast floating around, it won't make any difference. but in the end it's your beer, and the gelatin won't mess anything up. just use proportionally less than what you would use for a larger batch.

Thanks, that's helpful, haha It's been in the fridge for 24 hrs now I'll sleep on it and see how it looks tomorrow.

Back