Gelatin with Force Carb

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Morkin

Reaction score
Probably not a unique question, but I can't find a good answer.

My IPA has been sitting for about 2 weeks. I want to force carb (shaking the crap out of the keg) as I usually do, but want to clarrify it a bit by putting some gelatin in it. Will adding the gelatin, racking to keg, then shaking the crap out of it have any effect on the workings of the gelatin? Any help as always is appreciated. thanks,

Doubt it will have any effect. When I get gelatin, I like to shake it up to get it well distributed anyway.

Adding the Gelatin and shaking it with carbonation all within 15 minutes won't effect it? Just don't want to ruin a perfectly good batch of beer for no reason.

Bump.

I'm wanting to rack the beer to the keg tonight and want to force carb it tonight as well..... Will force carb by rolling the keg hurt the effects of the gelatin?

Absolutely not. Gelatin is not magic and makes haze disappear...it helps the stuff fall out of suspension, and collect at the bottom of your keg (carboy, bucket, whatever). So if you put the gelatin in, gave it proper time to clear your beer, and then carefully rack the beer off into another keg, you have in effect left all of the hazy crud behind. With that being said, you can shake the snot out of it in the new keg and it should be fine, because all the haze causing crap was left behind when you racked it.

I add gelatin right to the keg that I serve in. There is no point to rack it to another keg after adding gelatin. The first pint will suck up the sludge at the bottom that has settled, but after that, its all clear.

That's the exact method I use. Go for it and after two or three days pour off a pint of gunk and your beer will be nice and clear. Unless it has a crap load of hop haze or chill haze.

I used gelatin for the first time with my last beer and the clarity definitely improved. It is a dry hopped beer, but I don't have any of the dry hop haze.

I mix up the gelatin solution, add it to the keg, then rack to keg.

Eric

I pour gelatin (dissolved in hot water) directly into the keg as I rack to the keg. Purge the air with CO2. Put in the refrigerator for 24 hours to chill. Any chill haze will form - then add a teaspoon of polyclar - purge again and shake and force carb at the same time.

The gelatin, polyclar and whatever binds to it will sink to the bottom of the carboy in a few hours - and will pour off in the first pint.

This gives absolutely clear beer - and it will also carb easier when its cold. Just 5 PSI will give two volumes of CO2 at 35C in 3 minutes of shaking - and you'll burn enough calories to pay for your first beer.

It takes a few hours for the beer to beer - but the gelatin and polyclar is tasteless if you cannot wait.

Ian

Back