Gelatin temperature

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jonpecan

Reaction score
Damnation! I forgot to warm up my gelatin before adding it to the beer.

Did a 10 gallon batch. Split beer in half, one for keg, one for bottles. Gelatin going into the keg I neglected to heat.

Any thoughts on the implication? Will room temperature gelatin do something, if never heated to about 150 F?

If the gelatin was liquified/dissolved when going in, I think you are good. I don't believe there's any chemical reaction or anything special that happens when heating to the 150 degrees for fining--you are just trying to liquefy it. Perhaps when too cool it coagulates too quickly, I really don't know, but Im confident the liquid you poured in has the same properties at room temp and hotter temps below that of boiling. Hopefully more folks can chime in.

How did you prepare it? Gelatin needs to be bloomed first in cold water, then heated until it clears and is fully dissolved.

Oh I know how it's supposed to go, I've done it a hundred times. I was just multitasking and missed a step.

I bloomed it, mixed it up, and dumped it in. I even thought, "This looks weird."

I might just do it again with the heating part this time.

Last edited:
I wouldn't skip the heating. This not only helps create a uniform, smooth solution it also pasteurizes the gelatin mix. Personally I don't want to take a chance of dumping some random bacteria in my beer.

@BigEd is correct. Let it bloom 10 minutes then heat it up to kill the nasties. I use short microwave bursts to 165F, then transfer to a syringe and inject the keg.

Attachments

• 6476FB87-C318-4C48-B05A-64F6E32D81AD.jpeg
    6476FB87-C318-4C48-B05A-64F6E32D81AD.jpeg
    3.6 MB · Views: 16
@BigEd is correct. Let it bloom 10 minutes then heat it up to kill the nasties. I use short microwave bursts to 165F, then transfer to a syringe and inject the keg.

Thanks @Beermeister32.

Not heating was an accident. It already happened. I'm wondering what to do now.

Aldi, were did you get the syringe? I just did the same squeezing a pop bottle, it worked fine, but i

I use a plastic syringe and a short length of PVC or silicone hose, which fits right onto a ball lock disconnect. Search for "plastic syringe" on eBay or aliexpress to see what I mean. You can probably find them in pet shops and drugstores.

1643435280469.png

Back