Gelatin Residue in Bottles

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sudz

Reaction score
I've been using gelatin for fining in my beers for years. It's a great process for clearing beer simply and cheaply. I am a strong advocate of the process. However, I have observed that doing so results in a small amount of gel residue on the inside of the bottle. I might add it took awhile to figure this out.

Cleaning these bottles has been quite a task. For those of you that may have encountered this, how do you remove the gelatin during bottle cleaning?

Do you vigorously rinse your bottles right after pouring? That's how I cut down on the bottle scrubbing...

Yes... I do with hot water. This does help but the residue remains to some degree. I can get it clean but it's not easy. Uncomfortable leaving any of this behind since it must contain some byproducts from the previous fermentation. It was something I didn't know existed for a long time. Once you see it, you understand it comes with every bottle of a batch you cleared with gelatin. It never caused a problem when I didn't know it was there so I may be nervous for nothing. Normal sanitation efforts may be adequate even though some little beads stuck on the glass are left behind??

How many of you guys have observed this after using gelatin fining? Look close with some back lighting.

Thanks for the input.
I have something similar. Given enough time and hot water, it does clean the bottle. The gelatin is difficult to dissolve. I was hoping someone may have discovered something to dissolve the stuff with ease.

Yes... I do with hot water. This does help but the residue remains to some degree. I can get it clean but it's not easy. Uncomfortable leaving any of this behind since it must contain some byproducts from the previous fermentation. It was something I didn't know existed for a long time. Once you see it, you understand it comes with every bottle of a batch you cleared with gelatin. It never caused a problem when I didn't know it was there so I may be nervous for nothing. Normal sanitation efforts may be adequate even though some little beads stuck on the glass are left behind??

How many of you guys have observed this after using gelatin fining? Look close with some back lighting.
I use gelatin and have never seen this. Before bottling I make sure no gelatin is being picked up by the diptube. As for cleaning go on line and get some Sodium percarbonate. It will clean anything and is safe. It is the active ingredient in PBW and Oxi Clean.

I use gelatin and bottle without the problem you are having. After I pour a from a bottle I put a small amount of water in the bottle, put my thumb over the top and after a vigorous shake it rinses out clean.

I do use PBW which does make a difference. Like you, I wasn't aware of anything remaining in my bottles for several years since the residue is clear and is hard to see. What is there is very small bumps or blisters of clear gelatin. It's only there on bottles which contained brew cleared via gelatin. I've used several different recipes for making up the gelatin. The one I've settled on and have used for a couple of years appears to have the least gelatin. Basically its 1/2 tsp gelatin in 1/4 cup water, zapped with 7 second intervals of microwave until 150*F is hit. Stir between heating. The final product (thin and crystal clear) is dumped into my carboy which has been chilling for 2-3 days @ 32-34*F. I permit this to settle for 2-3 days then gently warm the wort to room temp for bottling. I basically use this for all my brews which should be clear and bright, not wits.

I never warm it back up after a cold crash. Part of why I cold crash is that it makes the trub more solid and harder to accidentally siphon.

You are correct. Absolutely, cold crashing does cause the fine particulates to clump and drop out.
I initially shared your viewpoint and never warmed the beer for fear of disturbing the trub bed. But having read more on the process I tried warming and must say I couldn't see a difference. Since I bottle, I appreciate not having condensation on everything while I work with it. Wouldn't matter if you keg I guess. If you bottle, give it a shot. I bet you will be pleasantly surprised.

However, I will admit, maybe the warming has some effect on the solidified gelatin which may explain the small gelatin deposits on my bottles. Sounds like an experiment may be in order.... :)

You are correct. Absolutely, cold crashing does cause the fine particulates to clump and drop out.
I initially shared your viewpoint and never warmed the beer for fear of disturbing the trub bed. But having read more on the process I tried warming and must say I couldn't see a difference. Since I bottle, I appreciate not having condensation on everything while I work with it. Wouldn't matter if you keg I guess. If you bottle, give it a shot. I bet you will be pleasantly surprised.

However, I will admit, maybe the warming has some effect on the solidified gelatin which may explain the small gelatin deposits on my bottles. Sounds like an experiment may be in order.... :)

I do the same thing when I bottle, primarily because I’m worried about the bottling sugar solution not being mixed well if the beer is cold. Have to say I haven’t yet seen any gelatin deposits...but now I’m going to be checking my bottles alot more carefully.

I've been using gelatin for fining in my beers for years. It's a great process for clearing beer simply and cheaply. I am a strong advocate of the process. However, I have observed that doing so results in a small amount of gel residue on the inside of the bottle. I might add it took awhile to figure this out.

Cleaning these bottles has been quite a task. For those of you that may have encountered this, how do you remove the gelatin during bottle cleaning?
I have the exact same issue and also discovered only after several brews using gelatin. I thought about ditching the gelatin all together and only cold crashing, but my brew fridge has been hijacked and cold crashing is currently not an option. I find it best to clean the bottle ASAP after emptying it, while the residue is still soft.

I have the exact same issue and also discovered only after several brews using gelatin. I thought about ditching the gelatin all together and only cold crashing, but my brew fridge has been hijacked and cold crashing is currently not an option. I find it best to clean the bottle ASAP after emptying it, while the residue is still soft.
Are you finning in the bottle or keg and bottling once clear?

Gelatin goes into the primary fermenter (or sometimes secondary), then bottled after a week or so.
I do mine the same way, in the fermenter after chilling. I've not noticed any gelatin in the bottles but I don't bottle very often. I did notice a small piece in the bottom of a keg once that was a bugger to remove but only that once. Have you noticed it in your fermenters?

I have found small droplet-sized clumps of gelatin stuck to the inside of the fermenters. I have only just started checking the temp of the water before dissolving the gelatin, maybe I have been dissolving it at either too hot or too cold a temp.

Back