Gelatin in keg?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Chris_Primavera

Reaction score
Have a most excellent galaxy IPA on gas getting ready to serve.

Said IPA was kegged without any fining agents and first pour is a but murky.

LHBS announces a brewing contest.

Can I hit the keg with gelatin to clear it up?

Yes, but don't move the keg around too much after. I tried this method a couple of times and all will be clear until the keg gets moved around. The first couple of glasses will be cloudy and after that it will be clear.
I do not do this anymore because I often take a keg up to the cabin (3 hour drive) and after the drive it pours cloudy the whole weekend.

How long has it been in the keg? Clarification is on of the last steps in a normal aging process.

First pour from a keg is always cloudy (ok, maybe not ALWAYS...)

Depending on your brewing process (pH, ingredients, water chemistry, yeast strain, etc.) you may get brilliantly clear beer in a while.

Or you can use gelatin in the keg, as many people do, and get pretty clear beer in a couple of days. As long as you don't have an aversion to animal products in your beer, it's all good.

Just remember that moving your keg, even a small amount, might stir up the stuff still sitting on the bottom of the keg. And it may take a few pints worth of beer before it starts pouring clear. All the gunk is settled down to the bottom where the dip tube is.

I'm considering doing this to a Blonde Ale I made that isn't very clear. Have to move the kegs for a wedding a month from now. If I do, I have a 1/4in hose with black ball locks on either end. Pour the sludge out of the tap then move the clear beer to a new keg without worrying about stirring the sludge back in.

It works great. Make sure the beer is at serving temperature for 48 hours, heat up the gelatin (with a bloom before or after heating, it really doesn't matter) to about 150F or so and let sit 10 minutes or so to sanitize, and shake the keg after adding and purging... 48 hours later your beer should be much clearer unless something big is wrong... it's like adding 3 weeks of aging/cold crashing...

And yeah there will be "stuff" on the bottom of the kegs. There would be with aging and cold crashing as well...

Back